Could this be a pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nittanyxi, Jul 21, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I'm starting to think my 2 1/2 month old light brown leghorn may be a roo. No crowing yet. Up until now I've always thought it was a pullet. Anyone think it could be a roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

2. bald k9

bald k9 Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Looks rooish to me

3. JPinVT

JPinVT Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Leghorn roos get GIANT combs really quickly, so I would think that means this is a pullet. I know my leghorn roo had a comb about 4 times that size when he was half that age.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I could be wrong, but I think you have a pullet there. I had a brown leghorn (but she was unfortunately one that my doxie killed before she fully matured) and she looked remarkably like yours. Leghorns are... well.. kinda rangy and leggy and less girly looking than many pullets of other breeds. Here's hoping yours IS a pullet! [​IMG]

5. beckt

beckt Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I am saying you have a girl there. Not much comb and waddles for a Leghorn. It has a hen tail also.

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Light Brown females are the only ones with a red breast the males are black. That is a female. I am basing my experience with the Light Brown variety of Dutch, the males are black breasted and the females are red breasted. You for sure have a female.

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    The tail looks like a hen to me. [​IMG]

8. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Songster

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Nother vote for pullet

9. Yep, she's a girl. Definately.

10. HBuehler

HBuehler Songster

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Don't send her to freezer camp....send her to me [​IMG] We have leghorns or have had them in every color..the browns are super she's a ways from laying eggs but just before she gets there her comb will grow before your eyes into a huge floppy blood red then magically the white eggs will be filling the nest boxes.One of my Spring brown pullets began laying this week.
    I'll see if I can snap a picture of one of our roos so you can see the color difference between the two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by