Could This Be A Red Sex Link?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by V ron, Mar 7, 2014.

1. V ron

V ron Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Seale, Alabama
    I'm new to the forum so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have three of these roosters, the dad and two sons that I would like to sell but I'm not sure what breed they are. Looking on line, I found some pictures that are very similar that showed them as Red Sex Links. I was hoping for someone with rooster experience to tell me if you think that is correct. Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    He looks like a red sexlink, but they don't breed true as they are a mixed breed, so the sons are not red sexlinks.

3. V ron

V ron Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Seale, Alabama
    Thank you for the information. I've attached a couple pictures of the sons, so how do you think I should list them to sell? Is there not a true name for the sons?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Large mixed breed roosters

5. V ron

V ron Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Seale, Alabama
    Great, thank you so much.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. They're barnyard mix roosters.

7. steph0601

steph0601 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    The red sex link chickens are a cross between 2 chickens. to create/produce a sex link chick you have to breed these two different pure bred chickens. Males are white at birth and females are a reddish yellow. This sex link does not breed thru, so your second generation will end up just being a backyard mix breed, or mutts :)

8. V ron

V ron Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Seale, Alabama
    Since I didn't actually raise them I don't know how they came to be but this makes sense. They are so pretty now but I need to protect my ladies. One of my Americana's looks like a Tur-ken because of the way her feathers have been pulled out. I feel so bad for her. Do you know if it would be ok to leave the roosters in a pen to themselves until I can find a new home for them? They are sweet and I'm afraid if I pen them alone, they may become more aggressive.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If roosters are housed together, with no hens to fight over, they usually do well. Since they've been together already and have established their own hierarchy, things should go okay. No absolutes with living animals, but I'd sure try it.

10. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Another fun name for a barnyard mix chicken is "a Heinz 57 Bird" lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by