Could this be a roo? Fetilized egg? pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Allicia, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Allicia

Allicia New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Hi[​IMG], I'm new here!

My long story short(er). We purchased 6 red sex link pullets from the local 4H fair and he gave us a 7th "free".

The "hen" in questions doesn't have the same color as the rest of our ladies, she is all ginger where our others are ginger with white back/bottoms. Her tail feathers are a bit different and she has these odd fluffy side feathers under her wings. I had thought maybe she was just a different breed but I'm beginning to think she may be a he!

Recently, she/he has been showing some aggression towards the other hens, seems to be a bit nosier (no cock-a-doodle doo's yet) and is just built differently then the others. Could this actually be a roo?

We got them at the end of June and he said they would be laying in 3-4 weeks, I don't know their exact age but some started laying about 3 weeks ago, we currently have 4 layers. I do know that her waddle hasn't gotten full or red yet so I really have no idea.

What do you think?

Here she is:
    You can see the side feathers under the wings here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the rear:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Allicia

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Allicia

Allicia New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Here is a picture of one of our eggs that I think may be fertilized? Could this actually be fertilized?
    [​IMG]
    (I've updated to a close up picture)

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I can't tell, kind of new at this too, but compare the crown & waddles with the rest of your pullets. From my short experience with chickens my Orpington Rooster started "crowing" about 13 wks, Seramas started at 8 wks, so I'd say depends on the breed. Yes your eggs are fertile...The one on the far left, you can see the blood veins.

1 person likes this.
  4. Allicia

Allicia New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Thank you for the info!

I've compared the waddles but his (or hers) isn't red and swollen yet so it's hard to tell at this point. He's not crowing that I've heard but I've also read crowing times can vary widely. I've been searching endlessly to find ways to tell them apart to no avail....sigh.

As for the egg on the left it's not from my chickens, all the rest are though. I was thinking that the "white spot" on the top middle was a fertile spot?

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    PS...The "white spot" is a fertilized egg, do you have roosters? Visiting Rooster? The crown & waddle turns red on the hens when they're in the laying mode. Your mystery sex chicken maybe a rooster, not all crow, so I'm told. Lots of observations needed, have fun.

1 person likes this.
  6. Allicia

Allicia New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    The only possible rooster is the one I have taken pictures of...sigh. No possible way there are visiting roosters.

I had a feeling when I saw that white spot on the egg. I've also had speculation that this bird is "different" and yes, I've read not all crow. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks so much for the info!

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    No the bird you are thinking is a roo is in fact a hen and none of the eggs in the pic are fertile from what I can see, although I can only see one blastodisc on the one you think may have been fertile, all eggs will have this germ spot where a chick would develop if it was fertilised, the streaking in the egg to the left does not look like blood veins unless it was from a flock with a roo and incubated for a couple of days? still doesn't look right to me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Allicia

Allicia New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Thank you for that info. So the blastodisc is not a fertilized spot, good to know. The egg with the streaking is from a different flock. I noticed that the "hen" in question is starting to get little bumps growing out of her legs a little above her ankle, is this normal? I guess it's just a strange hen LOL!!

9. Allicia

Allicia New Egg

Aug 12, 2013
    Here are a few more pics of this chicken in comparison of my other hens
    [​IMG] the hen is in the bottom of the pic.

[​IMG] another view, the chicken in question is the all dark one.

And another[​IMG]

A question, I cracked open eggs today from our neighbor that does not have any roosters and each egg had a small white speck on it. It looked nothing like the one in my picture. It was a bright white fleck which some of our eggs have. Some have the larger circle pictured in my earlier post, is such a large variation in the blastodisc spots normal?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First, a chicken has wattles. A duck waddles.

That egg is fertile. An infertile egg will just have a white dot. A fertile egg will have the dot with a bullseye circle around it.

The red pullet is a female. Can we see your others up close?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by