1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brahma2016, Apr 24, 2016.

1. brahma2016

brahma2016 New Egg

Apr 24, 2016
    We have four 2 month old Brahma chickens and this one demonstrated very different behavior from day 3. Always "herding" the others, making sure they are all at certain place, jumping, pecking, complaining if the other chickens are held. Also 20-30% bigger than the others. The other three are very calm and approachable. We now have them together with our only adult Orpington. The transition went very smooth for all of them but it seems this Brahma is starting to question the Orpington dominance. At what age does rooster start to challenge the top hen? (We cannot have roosters and would have to rehome anyway). I am fairly new to the chickens so wondering if this is could be normal hen's behavior.[​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! Could you get a pic of the comb?

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Most pullets don't fight hens,but there are hens who do the things you described.

Cockerals just fool around usually.or they scatter.Did you introduce them just today or few weeks ago?Could I geta comb pic?

4. brahma2016

brahma2016 New Egg

Apr 24, 2016
    The Brahmas were together since day 1. They joined the adult Orpington 2 weeks ago. This Brahma seems more jumpy and nervous when we come.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. brahma2016

brahma2016 New Egg

Apr 24, 2016
    This is one of the other ones for comparison. I am also wondering if the redness around the eye is normal, the others don't have it as much. Thank you for all the advice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    This is difficult since brahamas have Pea combs.Has he tried mounting anything (a chicken)?

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    are you sure she/he isn't just playng around?When he challenges her,what does he do?

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Sometimes they have to find their way in the pecking order,so the pullet may just be testing bouyndries.

9. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Usually cockerals have that bright red face,while pullets faces stay more white/pale.

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Mine appear to be the exception to this. Almost all of my first chicks (all pullets) have very bright red faces. No idea why and they've been like that for a month (13 weeks old now). Their combs are reddish at the base, but fade to a pale peach at the tips.

:confused:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by