Could this be a sex-link

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Palmetto Plucker, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Palmetto Plucker

Palmetto Plucker Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

chick is 2 weeks old today and breeder said it was a Comet. Is it a roo? Is it a Comet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Looks like a Comet to me, I have 4 of them. Comets are sex link chickens, but it's too early to tell if it's a roo or not.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yes, that is a Red SL, however that is also a suspiciously light baby. Light colored baby Red SLs are roos. Did you order only pullets and get an extra? Sometimes they slip these little guys in as extras because nobody orders the males.

4. Palmetto Plucker

No I have no one to blame but myself. I picked it from a bin of cuties at a lawn and garden ( mom and pop operation). They do their own breeding and incubating. It does have a very red head with paler "spot" on the head. [​IMG] I guess he will be named Stewie. Just took a chance. Went to buy Black Australorps...came home with BA, the Sexlink and two fluffy faces( EEs) I probably picked all roos. i raise BO so I check their wings on hatch day and have a pretty good (100%) average [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like they're breeding second (or more) generation sex-links. Thus, the sex-linkage is voided. It could be either sex, you'll just have to wait and see. Or talk to the folks who hatched. If they're mixing their own sex-links and it's a first generation, I say girl. It is light colored, but it's definately gold vs silver.

6. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania

See now in my experience with the Comets, the roo's are usually darker when they're babies. Well I should say, when they are about 4 weeks old. My girls were lighter than the boys. Hmmm.....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. Palmetto Plucker

This is what I hate about chickies...the waiting to see if it is she or he. I must stop going to the stores that have babies. I can't resist and I certainly don't want a mixed breed rooster to compete with my fine, upstanding,manly, gentle BO roo!

8. Palmetto Plucker

[​IMG]

Here is the chick I asked about three weeks ago now nearly 7wks old. Is this a roo? Just what do yall think the breed might be? Mutt? Comet , Red SL
    Thanks for the feed back. It might be a stewie.[​IMG]

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Looks like a roo to me, and I agree, probably 2nd gen red sexlink. I am totally amazed at people who try to breed sexlinks without bothering to look up how to do it properly!

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, it's a real disservice to people just starting out. The most basic google search will tell people that it's not a breed, just a one time cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by