Could this be a Silkie pullet egg? Finally got my answer - it wasn't! She laid her 1st egg :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbieschicks, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Silkie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lavender Orpington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Could be either one

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    My 22 week old Silkie pullet Topsy (FKA Topspin) was acting up - walking the perimeter of the garden fence and shouting what sounded to me like the egg song - that was at 6 pm. I put them to bed shortly after that.

This morning I found the below egg in the manure box. It was situated under the area where she was sitting last night at dusk. Is it possible this is the right size for a 1st egg for a Silkie? I somehow thought it would be more marble size if it were her first based on the size of pullet eggs for my LF girls.

The white egg pictured is medium size and from my 35 week old White Leghorn pullet who has been laying since last Thanksgiving, Snow White. The brown pullet size egg on the left is from my 22 week old Lavender Orpington Buffy who just started laying a week ago. The mottled egg in the middle is the one I found in the manure box - it is slightly smaller then the LO pullet egg in size.

[​IMG]

Here is Topsy (FKA Topspin) the Silkie black pullet in the front of Silkie roo, Davy (FKA Daisy) - there is one of the LO pullets standing nearby in the gate entrance.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    So no one has any guess? My son says its a LO. Miss Topsy has been very quiet today.

3. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    I really don't know, but I can tell you that we have had a few chickens who have laid large, double yokers for their firsts. I have also gotten marble sized eggs from leghorn pullets who had been laying for awhile. Anything is possible [​IMG].

4. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    My silkies lay off white eggs, never that dark and never have they had speckles. It doesn't really look like a silkie egg to me but who knows, chickens do odd things sometimes.[​IMG]

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thank you for your answers, I think you are right that it isn't Silkie - the more I look at it, the more it looks like it's a Lavender Orpington pullet egg - maybe 1 of the 2 that hadn't started laying yet.

I found an old picture of the silkie eggs before I hatched them - Topsy was one of the BBS - so my guess is she will lay about the same color? But the darker brown definitely looks more LOish.

[​IMG]

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Yeah! Finally Topsy (FKA Topspin) laid her first egg! She's 24 weeks old. She could have laid it anytime in the last several days as I have been sick in bed and relying on my DH & DD to check for eggs. This one was hidden well under the circle of straw. I almost missed it myself - but I usually move the straw around to check for hidden things and sure enough - there was the egg! I compared it to the pictures of the egg she came out of and it matches. It's very light tan although this picture makes it look darker.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by