Could this be an ALBINO silkie?!! *pics included* :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magicpigeon, Jan 1, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I think this guy could be an albino silkie. Both his parents are purebred and the rest of the siblings look exactly like silkies. I'm also thinking anaemia, but I don't know if that's possible...[​IMG] Anyway, here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Someone else suggested poor blood circulation as when he/she hatched the feet were swollen and he/she had difficulty walking. I'm interested in seeing what it will look like when it grows up [​IMG] Very sweet and inquisitive little thing that likes to bite the camera.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    True albinos have pink eyes, so no. Could just be a little genetic "oops" but may darken up as he/she gets older. Very cute!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not an albino. The eyes are not pink. Any possibility mama was bred by a non silky rooster? It looks like the chick has no crest in addition to the unacceptable coloring.

4. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I agree with sourland. Don't look like a silkie to me. No black feet for one thing?

5. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

I agree with sourland. Don't look like a silkie to me. No black feet for one thing?

That's the thing. Both parents are 100% purebred. I have no idea what happened...[​IMG]
    However on the other hand, I once had a silkie roo that had yellow toes. He is now completely blue/black/whatever color you call their skin [​IMG] and he shares common grandparents with this clutch. I am wondering if inbreeding did the trick. One hen and roo in my flock are cousins. I'm hoping this egg wasn't one of theirs...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Okay, I'll be upfront and honest about this. . . By "purebred" do you know for sure the parents did not come from hatchery stock? [​IMG] Because it looks like the chick is giving you a hint that one or more of your parents aren't carrying the full genetics of having dark pigmentation, which some hatcheries do carry. (Ideal Hatchery for example often sells Silkies with normal coloration)

7. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Nope, no hatchery stock [​IMG] It doesn't seem possible that it was some sort of spontaneous mutation?! I got the parents from a silkie breeder who shows his chickens. So...no leads [​IMG]

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Can you post pics of the "parents"?

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    [​IMG]

10. magicpigeon