Could this be an Exchequer Leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dandelion007, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Songster

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Could this be an Exchequer Leghorn? She didn't start laying until 10 months old. It's a small white egg. I got her from Cackle Hatchery in a hatchery surprise package. Her comb seems to be getting a little bigger. Does it take a while for Leghorns to get the large combs that lay over? I've only gotten a couple of eggs so far so I don't know how often she lays yet.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Looks like maybe a mottled java?

3. Is she tethered ? I think I see a string on her leg.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    If that's a mottled Java...get your money back! LOL

5. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    It's the Leghorn. Cackle has them, and, they have the bigger combs.

I always though the Exchequered Leghorns were pretty. [​IMG]

6. Quote:Is there some thing wrong with that breed.. I think it is pretty.. I used to have a dog colored like that..

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    There's nothing wrong w/ the breed! lol! It's just if THAT'S the representation they're giving of the Mottled Java...then a refund is in order!

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Songster

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Quote:No, she's not tethered. She loves jewelry. And purple. She really loves purple. She calls this a bracelet... I told her she was having a photo shoot and she got dressed up.

I did originally think she was a Mottled Java. But Cackle doesn't list them. After she laid her first egg, I knew she wasn't a Java because they lay brown eggs. Also, Javas are supposed to mature quickly and they are larger birds. She is in the 4-5 pound range. The problem with thinking she is a leghorn is when she started laying. I think they begin earlier than 10 months. And also the comb, wondering if it will continue growing to flop over.

That's why I'm puzzled with her.

Oh and yeah, I tethered her to take her picture. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Songster

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:that was my first thought, she looks just like mine. I am thinking they are not great representations?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by