Could this be anything other than Bumblefoot?

Jiffyrocks

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2017
Louisville KY
So, I have 7 chickens. None of them are limping. I just happen to to foot checks regularly, and came across the dreaded black scab. 2 out of 7. One Goldie, had it on one foot and GI Jane has it on both.
So (after reading everything I could online) I soaked in the feet in epsom salt, and started at the scab with tweezers.
Let me say, along with the no limping, there was no swelling, no smell, nothing. I started at the scab and didn’t feel a corn under it either. No puss. Nothing. Half of me was unsure if it was bumblefoot seeing as the only sign was the black scab. But these are free ranging chickens and they walk on dirt. Once washed and peeled, the scab looked…idk, normal. So I didn’t want to create and unnecessary hole in their foot. I cleaned it, sprayed with vetericyn spray, put some antibiotic ointment on it, and wrapped it up. I’ve been changing the wraps and letting it air dry in between (since their isn’t a hole- I can’t tell which way might be better).
So my question, can it just be a normal scab? Callus? Or is it bumblefoot but early and I should dig it out before it progresses?
Adding one photo of GI Jane. This was yesterday after taking the wrap off.

Attachments

• 6861A69A-FD00-49AA-B8BB-BEBAD5F460CA.jpeg
    6861A69A-FD00-49AA-B8BB-BEBAD5F460CA.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 32
If there isnt any redness nor swelling on the footpad, and no limping, dont mess with it. The scab will eventually disappear on its own. Just inspect the footpad for the next week or two for any of the signs I mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom