Could this be bumble foot or the result of long term swelling from an injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ange2016, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Ange2016

Ange2016 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    Have had mable for a couple of months now. The foot seemed to have an injury when we got her home on day of purchase. I initially thought she may have been stood on when others in the pen were being caught, as I had viewed her a few days earlier and she was walking normally. The ankle was swollen to twice normal size and toes were stiff. It improved dramatically over about a month. Most of the swelling went down and foot started to move more normally. Now she is limping a lot and the pad feels more hard than the reasonably soft it was wh en we brought her home. The skin is very dry on both feet but significantly more on the bad side.if you can help I'd really appreciate it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It looks like there could be foreign matter under her scales on that middle toe. Or it could be scaly leg mites. It's hard to tell from just seeing a photo.

What I suggest is a long soak in a strong Epsom salt solution of nice warm water and dish detergent. That will get rid of dirt and poop stains so you will better be able to see what you have.

If after the feet (and I would soak both) you find any well defined dark crusty spots, try scraping the edges of the spot with a thumb nail. If she has bumblefoot, the edges should lift up and you will be able to pull it off, hopefully the kernel of infected matter coming with it, leaving a crater. Continue to clean out the crater until only clean pink flesh remains.

Dress the wound with triple antibiotic ointment and bandage with vet wrap. With the wound protected from dirt, she can go back with the flock. Check the wound in two or three days, and it should be pretty much healed. If not, repeat the above treatment.

If you don't see any dark spots, but instead see scales that are lifting up instead of being tight against the toe or legs, you have scaly leg mites. The best treatment is castor oil or Vaseline.

Let us know what you find.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ange2016

Dec 14, 2016
    Thanks for such an informative answer. I will do he Epsom salts wash later when it cools down. If it turns out to be scaly leg mites can Ivermectin be used for chickens. We also have budgies and use Ivermectin for scaly mite prevention for them.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Ivermectin would work, but it's overkill. Leg mites are so insignificant that any application of an oil will very quickly smother them. No worry about it getting into the eggs that way. It takes a good year, though, for new scales to replace the damaged ones, but the mites are gone very fast.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ange2016

Dec 14, 2016
    Ok thanks

6. Ange2016

Dec 14, 2016
    Ok great news. Did the Epsom salts soak and cleaned both feet very well. No black scabs at all. So not bumble foot. There were areas where the skins is thickened but I think it's from the foot being swollen for so long and she's developed something similar to corns. There were quite a few lifted scales so have smothered both legs and feet with Vaseline. What do you recommend for the swelling. I tried making them porridge and put turmeric in it, they didn't touch it.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That is indeed good news. Glad there's no staph infections. It does sound like there was some infestation of leg mites. The Vaseline will take care if it.

The swelling, and resulting pain, can be treated with baby aspirin. I give a half a tablet twice a day. Usually all you need to do is hold it in your hand and the chicken will snap it right up. If the swelling is from an old injury, it may take time to heal it. The aspirin should reduce the inflammation and hurry the healing.

8. Ange2016

Dec 14, 2016
    Thankyou very much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by