could this be cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickiechik, Nov 24, 2011.

1. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    I have 2 baby chicks that are both in seperate brooders with other chicks. I have noticed blood in their poop along with being lethargic, pulled in heads and drooping wings. They are on manna pro medicated feed which I thought was to prevent cocci. From all I'm reading these are the symptoms. I've read on BYC about sulmet and corid. Can these be given while on medicated food, and is there any other way to treat this? Any help would be appreciated befor I lose these babies. [​IMG]

2. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like coccidiosis. The strains are getting more resiliant to the medicated feed. Yes, I would take them off the medicated feed and put them on a different cocci med while feeding them non medicated feed.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Definitely sounds like cocci to me, all the symptoms are there. I highly recommend you purchase corid. It can be found in the cattle section at a feed store. The 9.6% liquid solution dosage is 9.5cc per gallon of water for 5 days. The corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Dont mix anything else in the mixture. I doubt the sick birds will drink the mixture, you're going to have to use an eyedropper or syringe without a needle and dose them from the mixture orally 4-5 times a day until they can drink the mixture themselves. I recommend that you make a fresh mixture daily. A temporary treatment that I've read that might help is sprinkle powdered milk on their feed and let them eat it if they can.

4. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Thanksfor the responses. Thats just what I thought. I went and got the powdered milk and got them to eat it with their food. Will get the corid and non-medicated feed tomorrow. Also got some poly vi-sol vitamins. Do I mix it with the water or give it directly to the chick??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by