Could this be considered "free ranging"?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicholie Olie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Nicholie Olie

Nicholie Olie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rotational free ranging - a great idea.

3. Hazard

Hazard Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    MASS
    I think "Yarded" or "Yarding" is a more appropriate term.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    The only true free-ranging it totally unrestricted movement. No fencing or barriers at all. Few of us can practice that. Even here in the country we practice what is really "pastured" chickens for their protection,even though the chickens have the run of almost 1/2 acre.

Unless you sell eggs it really does not make a difference what you call your method,but if selling eggs you need to use the right terms and let the customer know that the chickens are still out scratching and digging for goodies,just that they have a fence around them for their protection.

5. Nicholie Olie

Oct 16, 2012
    Okay, i figured if i gave them a good acre or so it'd still be considered free ranging. But with coyotes and such, that's not going to happen. Thank you!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I love this concept! I would call it pasturing rather than free ranging. Lots of options depending on your land and flock size. Could also allow the chickens into the compost area to help 'till' it.

7. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    It's like protected free ranging.

8. backyardcelia

backyardcelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    i don't know if it is because they are 'new to the world' (and full of cornmeal!) or maybe because there's only a handful of them(personalities), but, i've noticed my ladies love to stay close to home! all they want is the doors open, and to sit in the doorway or just outside it.... or i'll be out enjoying a sunny day with them and go in to answer the phone, get a drink, whatever... 3 minutes later i come back out and there's not a chicken to be seen... they're all cooped!
    in the beginning they tried to follow me into the garage, but they must not like rejection ;) as they were quick to give that up (now they try to make their way in the front door). so i kind of like this idea of a man made, yet 'natural' environment for them. i saw this article earlier this week here... it looks like one i designed (lol) only much much better! (seriously though, in addition to my design missing a couple of crucial hatches(the direct compost window & add'l chicken door), mine also had a concrete "track" and wheels on the coop (but that hardly sounds natural-- more like i am bringing the city into the country!)... since before i was keeping chickens i was trying to find a predator proof but cage free atmosphere, that may also be aesthetically pleasing in the yard.
    and since i'm planning for more chickens in the future, i was thinking, is it enough chicken space to other (rotating)space? & that a square pen may not be my answer... and what about geodesic. anyone?
    anyways, i guess the real q. as to what is free ranging (morally speaking) is.... what is free... and if man cannot get it together in re: to freedom, then this free ranging (and/or organic)stuff is, i think, far 'beyond my pay grade' . i can't take another chicken worry! :eek:
    BUT i vow to treat my ladies with love and respect :)

9. Nicholie Olie

Oct 16, 2012
    Oh wow i never even thought about doing that, that's actually a pretty good idea! Thanks.

10. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Another really neat system is the "chicken moat" garden. I first read about it back in the late 1980's in a Mother Earth News article by Gene Gerue. If you have a larger garden and maybe an orchard that covers maybe one quarter of an acre or more it's a good way to house chickens AND help control garden psets. The only drawbacks to this one is the area required and the cost of construction but for the serious homesteader it is ideal!

I can't get my mind around how to post links but if you google "chicken moat garden" you can find the link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by