Could this be from Molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dsbailey70, Aug 8, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I have a young Silkie who has something going on under its wings. I just noticed it this evening. It looks like dry skin, with yellow flakes in places. I've not yet been able to figure it out. I had been rubbing a drop of VetRx under its wings, but not for a couple of days. Diet, doing it's business, foraging, and behavior all seem normal. Could this be from molting? How can I fix it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    It just looks like dried dead skin, mine have the same though its white. If you don't have a dust bath for them then I would suggest getting one for them / making one because it will help them to shed the old skin better

3. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Ok, thank you. I've got some sand in the coop, but they don't seem to do much in it, aside from eating it or sitting in it. I'll try changing it out for regular dirt. They usually dust bathe in dirt when they free range in the yard, but they didn't get to for too long today.

4. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I used to use a baby bath ( picked it up second hand for a fiver) and it worked great until all of my birds wanted to bath at once. now they have a plastic clam ( one of those sandpit/ pool ones they use for kids) and its got fine dry dirt in it, I keep it under cover on the porch in the sun and they use it daily. They work well as long as you can keep them dry

5. sandesnow

sandesnow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2013
    Nova Scotia Canada
    My hens have taken over 2 old tires I filled with dirt for my tomatoes. I even had tom starts in it, but the bowled them over to use the dirt in them. Two hens share each one. lol (when one isn't fast enough.) But they seem to love them for some reason. I fill them up every couple weeks with just some dirt from the yard.. you would think that we put them there for them. LOL Silly things, but hey it works, so may as well continue.. so they stay out of everything else!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Tires make good baths because they are also warm, you will find that in winter they will stand on the tires/ sit on them because it heats up in the sun and warms their feet.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  7. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    That's a great idea! I'll go by Discount Tire and see if they'll let me have a couple. I've got a couple old rear tires from my zero turn mower, but I don't think they're big enough.

8. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The bigger the inner hole of the tire the better I reckon , since there is more space

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by