Could this be heat stroke?

LindaNL

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2015
Massachusetts
Could this be heat stroke?

This morning my 7 year old hen was laying under her perch, she didn't seem to be able to stand stable on her feet. She doesn't eat, doesn't drink, she just lays on the floor (I brought her in). Her 'poop' is like water: a lot of transparent liquid, tiny bit of liquid-brown stuff. I tried to drip some water with electrolytes on the side of her beak, she did drink it, she immediately pooped after, and now she just drops the water on the floor most of the time.

Yesterday she was doing very well, and I haven't seen her pant at all. Al my other chickens are panting, it's very hot! In fact, I just told my husband that she was doing so well, her tail was very nice upright, she was active, looking for bugs and drinking from a freshly made mud pool. She hasn't been doing well for a year now, she has a swollen abdomen, so it might be possible that she has water belly.

So my question is, could this be heatstroke and should I try to continue with electrolytes & keep her cool.
Or, does this not look like a heatstroke and is this more likely the end-stage of water belly, in that case I will choose to euthanize her.

Thanks!

Oh my! This could be heatstroke, but I would take her to a vet and see what they think.
Thanks!
I would like to take her to the vet, but unfortunately I have very bad experiences with vets :(. It seems like all the vets only know how to treat cats and dogs. My vet did want to see her, but she only has time on Thursday. She would be able to squeeze her in for euthanasia if she is really doing bad, so I'm now trying to figure out if I should wait till Thursday (and I'm sure she wont be able to give me a proper diagnosis anyway) or if I should go there for an euthanasia...

Back
Top Bottom