Could this be internal laying??? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by teach1rusl, Dec 13, 2010.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Breed/Age - Salmon Faverolle/ 8 months old
    Feeding - Purina layena crumbles (free choice), free choice oyster shell, scratch and sunflower seeds as treats (handful or two a day tossed about)

* Peaches experienced very similar symptoms close to three months ago, but snapped out it. THEN, it seemed she wasn't gaining weight, but now her weight is good.

Three nights ago, I found a lot of clearish, liquidy stuff under her roosting spot; I suspected it was liquidy egg white, based on the quantity. Her daily behavior was active and normal, eating just fine (she's quite a piggy and will jump up to grab treats from my hand). Two nights ago, same thing happened at night. Once more, behavior/eating/drinking seemed normal, although her vent fuzz was getting gobbed up looking. Last night, when I went out to the coop to check that everyone was "tucked in," I found Peaches under the dropping board, with everyone else roosting. I placed her up on the roost, and she just stood there. I checked on her later, and she was still standing, rather than sitting down. Her comb is flopping over to the side - not normal for her.
    This morning, same liquidy mess under her, and she was still on the roost, while others were down and about. I had taken them warm oatmeal/grated cheese, and she didn't get down for that [​IMG]

I brought her in the house and gave her a warm bath in the sink, dried her off, and have her in a crate w/bedding in my bathroom. She drank a little of the warm bath water while she was soaking, so I know she's drinking at least a little. She took just a few bites of scrambled egg and sunflower seed hearts, so she's eating at least a little. But she's just standing in the dog pen, not nestling down and getting comfy or anything. While I was bathing her, I gently massaged her vent area and down between her legs, and I didn't feel anything I consider abnormal (bulges/protrusions).

She has not been laying eggs. She laid a few around 5 months of age, but then came down with similar symptoms as just described (which she came out of within two weeks or so...but never started laying again).

I thought at first that maybe her egg laying "equiment" might be trying to kick in, but now that it's obvious that she's not feeling well, I'm guessing that it's internal laying??? I've read that there's nothing to be done if that's the case?? But maybe it's something else someone recognizes???? I would greatly appreciate your opinion/advice. She's a really sweet girl, and I hate that this is happening to her. [​IMG]

ETA: Also, this is embarrassing. But if I wanted to check for the possibility of an egg (broken or otherwise) inside her, how far is safe to insert a finger? Like an inch??? Less? But I'm thinking if it was a broken egg, that there would have been yellow yolk in the liquidy stuff she expelled...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry I haven't had that problem yet, and hopefully won't but usually soaking her in warm water and massage her vent with oilve oil or vaseline might help if she has an egg in there. Hopefully she doesn't. Try to google egg bound or internal laying right up above where it says search, you should find alot of good information. Wish you the best with her.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would be very suspicious that she has a broken egg in her. And even if she doesn't, something is blocking things up in there and making her uncomfortable. I will do a little searching to see if i can find a good thread on how far you can venture in without hurting her worse.

4. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Great thread pumkinpeep hopefully it will work for this hen also.

6. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Hope to hear a good report. [​IMG]

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Thanks guys. Yes, I've read tons of threads, both on being eggbound and on internal laying. And I've flip-flopped between the two possibilities. I guess I'll try another warm bath and lubrication this evening if nothing passes. I guess I was hoping someone would see the description and say "Yes! I've seen those signs before...it's _____!" I hate not knowing how to "fix" her, and I hate seeing her feeling so bad [​IMG] I got out of the shower (she's in my bathroom) and didn't see her moving or blinking and my stomach just sunk; but thankfully she "answered" when I called her name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by