Could this be lymphoid leukosis?--need opinions.

waghmg

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
As you may have noticed, I've made several posts about this hen that I'm really not sure what is wrong w/her. Had been sitting off to herself less active more and more. Head/neck down into her breast, feathers puffed out. To sum it up:

Thought maybe worms: Dewormed her 3-4 days ago.

Dusted for mites 3-4 days ago.

She seems to have gone hill over a period of time, stopped laying probably 2 mths or so ago.

She seemed to have taken turn for the worse over the last 3-5 days. She is paler and Have noticed her comb seems to be shrinking somewhat over the last couple of days.

Thought maybe impacted or sour crop. Have no experience w/this so just guessing. Seemed crop was distended 2 days ago so took her off food for a day and gave olive oil. Yesterday she was VERY hungry and much perkier so put her on soft food (crumbles soaked in water w/a little ACV, vitamins/lytes). Tried to get some yogurt down, though she does not like yogurt very much.

Today she has taken another turn for the worse, puffed out again, crop was not totally empty this morning, though not hard. She has eaten a few soft crumbles, but appetite much less than yesterday. Her poop was also better, more solid yesterday, today almost completely liquid. If she is out of her crate she either stands puffed up or walks really slow.

I've read LL takes a while to take it's toll and that's one reason I'm wondering if that's what it is. I know there is also no cure. I need to figure out what to do and if I need to put her down. Can't bear the thought but don't want her to suffer.

I honestly don't know what else to do. I'm writing this right now w/tears going down my face. I've tried so hard and she was our favorite. : (

Hey there, did you see my thread about my hen? The Safeguard seemed to work. My hen is now eating on her own. Can you get any Fenbendazole (Safeguard)? My tiny banty took 0.25 ml in a syringe, have to give the bottle a good shake as the stuff seems to precipitate out. I had tried everything else for 10 days. All 10 days she would not eat anything on her own. I was sure recovery was impossible, then today, she seems better. So don't give up. Keep trying anything and everything.

I have a two year old Red Star hen that's passing green watery droppings and has been running a fever of 106 degrees with a swollen abdomen. I've been treating her with oral penicillin but her temperature is not dropping. Could she have lymphoid leukosis and does this present with fever?

Since you say she stopped laying a couple of months ago, have you felt her abdomen to see if she is distended. Could she be laying internally?

Have you tried cooking up egg and feeding her that? I spray no-stick on a microwave safe bowl, break egg shell and all (crush up the shell) into a different dish and whip it up, nuke it for about 40 seconds. Slides right out of dish, cut into small little cubes and mix with tiny bit of yogurt, enough water to thin slightly.

Try the red wine with the oil soaked bread. See my previous post with my hen and link to where I learned of it. I'll send in a minute.....

Also, try massaging her crop, in a downward motion only. Sometimes that helps to get things moving.

Back
Top Bottom