Could this be Porcelian Cochins?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantimna, May 12, 2010.

1. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I got these pics from a bantam Cochin breeder. They look porcelianish, but I'm not sure. He said they are lavendar.
    These are not my birds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Lavenders should not have any buff or brown in their feathers. It is possible it may have porcelain colors in them!

3. bacres

bacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    They look more Isobel than Porceling because of the lack of the Millie Fluer coloring. The Rooster looks Isobel and the Hen looks more Lavender. More pictures from different angles would be appriciated. Nice Type though....

4. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Hens are lavender. Roo carries two lavender genes. The straw color in his saddle is buff diluted by lavender, or isabel. In any breed other than Silkies, porcelain requires the mille fleur pattern

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They aren't isabel, as isabel should be mostly unicoloured, not showing the lavender--think of a pure buff with no black whatsoever, then dilute that colour with two doses of lavender.

THey are definitely on the way to being porcelain, but appear to lack the mottling. I don't know that there is a name for the variety as they are; it is about what porcelain silkies are, though. I would guess that they are offspring from a project--very pretty birds in my opinion. Breed to mottled cochins, then breed the offspring together and you should get some true porcelains.

6. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    Add a mottled!!! They will make pretty babies! [​IMG]

7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    How exicting!!! I'll contact the breeder for more pics!!!. What should the ideal mottled cochin look like, to breed to these?

8. bacres

Mar 13, 2010
    East Pennsylvania
    I think you would use a Black Mottled. Look for nice type and even mottling.

9. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:Right, but can you call that specific patch of straw isabel? I know you can't call the whole bird isabel, but you can't call him lavender either.

10. CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl

CrazyWestTexasFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    West Texas
    wow... hes sure pretty though. I would love to have some in the color when I eventually get a flock going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by