1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be Salpingitis??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelonHeadSeb, May 26, 2016.

1. MelonHeadSeb

MelonHeadSeb Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Over the past month or so I have found 3 lash eggs in the egg box (nasty flesh lump things) and I have also noticed that one of my chickens has a squishy belly. She has had this squishy belly for a while but I have only noticed lash eggs recently. Other than that she has not layed eggs since like November last year.

Edit: Should probably mention she is still walking around normally and eating and drinking, and will even run for food, but for some reason her crop never feels full either, as if it doesn't even exist.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It could be but that inflammation is just a symptom of the cause which would be a bacterial or viral infection.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/134/salpingitis/

If you can determine she's the one laying the bad eggs, it is probably best to cull her since she's not likely to get better.

6 months without eggs, I hope she hasn't been eating layer feed all this time.

3. MelonHeadSeb

May 26, 2014
    Thanks, why do you hope she hasn't been eating layer feed all this time?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Because birds not actively building egg shells should be getting about 1% calcium. That would include young birds, roosters and non-layers.

Layer feed is 4% calcium and that much calcium can overwhelm the kidneys if they aren't kicking out egg shells regularly.

5. MelonHeadSeb

May 26, 2014
    Yeah I have no idea what happened. We always feed them layer feed and they have unlimited food throughout the day and were laying fine ever since we've got them (over 2 years now) up until November last year.. then they suddenly stopped and haven't been laying regularly again. Just a few eggs every now and then. Really not sure why at all.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That is perfectly normal. Most breeds of pullets will start laying at about 5 months and lay like gangbusters through the first winter and into the second autumn. Then they have to molt, at which time laying abruptly stops. After recovery from molt or after the winter solstice (day length increases), laying resumes. Till the following autumn when molt happens again. This is the routine year after year. During molt, they build a new winter coat of feathers consisting of 93% protein. They can't do that and kick out eggs. During molt, the reproductive tract gets a much needed makeover.
    Once they molt, one should switch to a higher protein grower or all flock feed that is lower in calcium. Once the new feathers come in and laying resumes you can switch back to layer.

7. cutiechook1

cutiechook1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Sittin' at the computer!
    [​IMG] Ummmm... What is Salpingitis?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Inflammation of the uterus.

9. cutiechook1