Could this be spider bite or ringworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cheepsforkeeps, Aug 19, 2010.

1. cheepsforkeeps

cheepsforkeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/55351_img_0514.jpg

Could
    this be ringworm? Posted a link to a picture of my 17wk Bramha hen with a weird circle wound a few days ago. It's a crater about the size of a dime with very raised white skin on the edges. The crater of flesh has scabbed over. I have been cleaning and dressing with a this protocol: This is also useful to anyone who may have a wounded chicken.

Hi Chuck, I just consulted with chicken doctor Tina and here is the recommended protocol:
    1) Flush wound with Betadine & water (mixed 50/50)
    2) Apply "Pick No More" lotion
    3) Apply "Wound Coat" spray
    4) Apply "Swat" to keep flies/maggots off (ugh!) - very important!

She is doing fine otherwise.. She is smaller than my other chickens though. Her feathers come to a peak at her breast bone. I know they take longer to mature, so can't tell if she's to light for her age. She might be underweight. Does anyone know a good average weight for a 17-18 wk old brahma hen?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. spoggy

spoggy d'Anver d'Nut

Aug 19, 2008
    Carlisle Township
    Hi! Couple of things about your girl. There has been some talk in the forums about similar looking wounds and their resemblance to "proud flesh", a condition normally found in the lower limbs of horses. You can read about it here. Try seaching the forums here for proud flesh and see if anything pops up. Sorry I don't have anything better for you.

Brahma pullets will typically run about 5 1/2-6 1/2 pounds, I don't have a good weight for one of your age though. The best way to tell if she's too thin is to pick her up. Feel for her keelbone along the center of her chest below the level of where her wings are. Is it pointy and sticking out like a bony person's collarbone? If so, she's probably undeweight. Don't rely on just looking at the feathers, get in there and feel. All that "poofyness" can hide a lot!

Good Luck!

3. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Oh my gosh, that is so disturbing. I have no idea! I hope you get help.

THIS LADY NEEDS HELP, HELP HER!!

oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh what is on your chickens face. I would be freaking out in your position (clearly lol.)

Have you had this chicken all its life? If it's from your flock, are any of the other chickens showing similar symptoms?

4. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    oh god thats nasty! [​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

It looks like a puncture wound to me...I'd put her on antibiotics, separate her and get it cleaned out...

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I agree, it looks like an infected puncture wound. It could possibly be a spider bite, although honestly I've never seen one that was almost perfectly round like that. I've never seen ringworm in a bird and I know it can look like anything in a dog or cat (seriously, we removed a mass from a boxer's toe once expecting some sort of tumor and the histopath came back as ringworm!) but that doesn't look like ringworm to me. Ringworm lesions (that I've seen in cats, dogs, and humans) are typically dry and crusty (and itchy) and usually don't have open sores unless the animal is really scratching at them. I would recommend flushing it out really good and getting her on some antibiotics. At the very least, put some topical antibiotic (like neosporin, bacitracin, panalog, etc) on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by