could this be the chicken laying blue green eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bella1210, Nov 29, 2010.

1. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    we have be getting a blueish green egg an dont know what chicken is laying it.
    [​IMG]
    the egg on the left is the one in question we have black ,blue, buff,white,an lavender orphingtons an about 6-7 silkies in all diffent colors.then we have 2 hens that look like this next pick we have no idea what kind they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    could this be our green blue egg layer?

2. ShallotteNC

ShallotteNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    North Carolina
    That's an EE or Easter Egger so it does lay the blue/green eggs

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

I love all of the experience of people here on the board!! That chicken looks EXACTLY like my brown leghorn, minus the large, floppy comb.

4. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    it is not an EE it is one of the chinesse breeds that get the real long tail in the roosters

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both of those birds look like Easter Eggers, which can lay blue and green eggs. [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's not an Easter Egger. It has a single comb, Mediterranean type body, and a long tale, as mentioned before like asian breeds.

Your green/blue egg layer would have a pea comb. (three rows of bumps)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They look just like my three EE's, and the egg is exactly the color that one or two of them lay -- one lays a very light sort of pinkish brown egg, I discovered the other day when I caught her in the act. But this variation in egg color is typical of EE's from what I have read. I also have a brown leghorn and she looks nothing like them, is small (not bantam) and has a huge comb that hangs over one eye.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2010
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Another thing - The pictured bird has blue tinted white earlobes. It lays white eggs. [​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, not all EEs have pea combs. Meet Carl, mr EE rooster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Perhaps the other hen may be the culprit..The one pictured is a Phoenix and like Illia said would lay a white egg. And too this hen doesn't even appear to be in production

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by