Could This be the perfect coop lighting?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ravenzero, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    [​IMG]

Its a video of an inventor in brazil, who created a enviormentaly safe and cheap way to provide light in homes. Shows you how its made too!

While this would not work in our american homes, I think this would work great in chicken coops!

What do you all think? I am going to put this set up in my coop this weekend and see how my chickens like it!

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Is your coop so large that a window or two won't let in enough light during the day? Seems like a lot of work for little return. JMHO [​IMG]

3. ravenzero

ravenzero Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Vancouver WA
    My coop has no windows, but is well ventilated. Kinda winterized that way. Anyway, I figure for some people who may not want to install and wire some light bulbs, this may be a good alternative.

4. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    Wow, that was really cool! If my Playhouse Coop was larger I'd seriously consider that. It's definitely on the project remember list. Thanks for sharing that.

5. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    What about a string of Christmas lights?

6. tbridegroom

tbridegroom Out Of The Brooder

Wish I didn't put a ceiling in my coop now very cool

7. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I love this! I might accually build a coop later this winter to try it out. Not as much for the chickens more or less for my curiosity

8. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

VERY cool!! thanks for sharing that video! Tempted to build one, looks super cheap and very easy!

9. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I think it is a pretty great idea! I know everyone uses windows for the most part, but I've got an aluminum shed that I am converting into a barn for my goats & zebu that I would like to try that on! I'm a big fan of natural light, especially for me in the house; hmmmm...I may have to think about this some & come up with a modification. The only downfall I see is that after dark it's useless, but maybe if I took some solar garden lights (short term, like 6 hours) & used them as well. That would give light longer & still give the animals the darkness they need...

10. purechaotic

purechaotic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    LOL this is what my dad did in his hunting cabin, that I was going to implement in wifescoop he used a piece of roof flashing the bottles fit in perfect and was water tight. It was a wood cabin that we built from the trees on property so lighting was a must and easiest way to not burn lanterns all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by