Could this brown and yellow chick grow up to be... BLUE? (pics)UPDATE!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an adorable chick who hatched out on the first day of summer. I named it Solstice. It is the mutt offspring of my flock being mothered by Archie, the Columbian Wyandotte. No idea which birds are biological parents because it does not look like ANYONE in my flock. Now it has tiny wing feathers and they look almost... blue. I mean the shade is a tad too brown I think, but they are definitely grey feathers. And it's legs are brownish... maybe greenish. Not black or grey or yellow like the adults' legs. I am baffled!
    Here's the possible parents:
    Daddy is either Dusty the (splash) Blue laced Red Wyandotte or Indigo the (black) Blue Andalusian
    Mother could be: Columbian Wyandotte, Gold Laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Blue laced Red Wyandotte, or Buff Orpington.
    But as I said, none of them looked like Solstice as chicks.
    Here Solstice is at 3 days old:
    [​IMG]
    So what does everyone think? Could it grow up blue? It has no markings on any feathers yet... just grey.
    Here's my flock, more or less:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE: Wing feathers kept coming in brownish grey, but the breast/neck/back feathers came in white, then black, then white...Solstice is barred, and from what I can tell, a BOY. But at least now I know who mommy is... Rufus, my barred rock hen. And with his dark legs I can be fairly sure his daddy was Indigo, the blue andalusian. So the bluest I can hope for is blue barred. He's cute and all, but I still can't keep another rooster.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. mywifewasonherenowiamalso

mywifewasonherenowiamalso Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Andalusian X Gold Laced Wyandotte
    is my bet

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Considering that splash laced red wyandotte roo, and the fact that blrw's are mostly brown as chicks, I would say yes, the brown chick could turn blue....not usual, but it happens. [​IMG]

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    very pretty birds

5. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I raised the whole flock from chicks but none of them looked like Solstice. The BLRW are the only ones who showed blue, but they were barred as chicks (wierd!) and had lots of orange on them. The columbians had yellow heads, like Solstice, but grey bodies and they grow up to be white. The gold laced were black with orange tiger stripes. Nobody was brown at all! Since the pattern resembles columbian chicks but the color seems to be blue, I am curious to see if I will get a blue columbian. I have never seen one (has anyone else?) but I bet it would be lovely! Even if it's 'plain' blue, I will be happy. I always wanted a blue chicken and haven't gotten one yet. I hope Solstice is a pullet!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by