Could this have been a disease?

sutillman

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
south georgia
My favorite Polish was dead this morning. I found him sick when I went out to feed yesterday afternoon. This is the history. Does anyone know what might have happened?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Black white crested Polish. 18 weeks old. No idea of weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Sitting on ground with head down.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Other chicks were pecking crown. No other signs of injury.
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I do not know. He was fine this morning and I found him like this when I got home.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Has been eating crumbles and drinking fine. Could not get him to eat or drink after I found him.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I put iodine on crown and gave him water w/electrolyes with an eye dropper.

There were no signs of injury other than where the other birds had pecked his head. No other birds are sick. Does anyone might know if the pecking alone could have killed him. He was a standard size Polish and is in the pen with a couple of Silver Spangled Hamburgs and a two other standard Polish. He has always been larger and more dominant so have never had a problem with him being picked on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom