Could this hen be a Frizzled Black and Blue or just a Black and White Mottled Frizzle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cocopop, Jul 31, 2013.

1. cocopop

cocopop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Could this hen be a Frizzled Black and Blue or just a Black and White Mottled Frizzle?
    Could it be that the white dilutes the black and looks a little blue?
    [​IMG]

2. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I have no idea but it sure is pretty.

3. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    thanks

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    She kinda looks like a Partridge Molted Frizzled Serama.

5. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Oh umm I hate to hijack your post but I just got a young frizzle which I was told was a cockerel but I'm not so sure. Are you experienced with frizzles? Do they ever fly like a normal chicken or will I have to make a special roost a bit lower to the ground?

6. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I had to make a lower roost for them because their curly feathers and a lot of missing barbs on the feathers hinder their flight. You can make smaller roost leading up to the higher roost. It is easier for them to fly down than fly up.

7. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Okay thank you another question though. I was told my frizzle has two copies of the frizzle gene and so it's weaker than a normal frizzle. Could I breed a frizzle to a cochin and get a frizzle or would it just turn into a messy mix? Here's a pic tell me what you think it's not a very good one but all I have is my phone.
    .[​IMG]

8. cocopop

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    I read somewhere if you breed a frizzle with a frizzle you will get a curley which has more brittle feathers. You are better off breeding him off with a smooth. I am new to this so I am not 100% certain. You will get some smooth and some frizzle with the cotchin. The chicks will be more normal because they will be less frizzled.

9. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Okay I think I'll breed him/her ( i think it's a her the comb is hardly pink and her cochin friends already have some bright red and big combs) with my black cochin and see how that goes

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    This is correct^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by