Could this possibly be my muscovies egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetesMom, Jun 2, 2012.

1. PetesMom

PetesMom Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I posted on the goose forum too. My 2 geese are 4 and 2 1/2 months old.....now to me they shouldn't be laying....I'm possitive the older is a gander, not too sure on the other yet..leaning towards a female. But I KNOW Ellie is laying because she has been sitting on a nest of 15 for the last week or two and I've notice Eliza has been trying to dig a nest too the last few days....Ellie stole 2 of her eggs and she laid another in where Ling is kept (she hopped the fence). So I put some straw down in a corner away from Ellie's nest, and this morning there was an egg in the center......I go over to check and was quite suprised at what I found. This egg is huge! And if Eliza laid it I'm quite impressed. I tried comparing it to Ellie's eggs when she hopped off the nest to get a drink and as soon as she saw me bend down she came over hissing so now she has a huge egg in her clutch lol Here is a picture. It was twice the size of all of Ellie's eggs and the other 3 eggs Eliza laid. Is it possible she laid it?
    [​IMG]

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Songster

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I just set 16 muscovy eggs in the incubator and some were really big and some were smaller and they all had the greyish/brown look to them like in your picture

3. CountryKitty

CountryKitty In the Brooder

May 3, 2012
    When I had muscovies, I would occasionally get a HUMONGOUS double-yolk egg from them. The sheer size of them had me wincing in sympathy.

BTW--I noticed in your tagline that you have a Muscovy drake named Elvis--I did too! caught him living wild on a friend's pond. He was a handsome black and white boy who really put away the food, and his body and scalp were glossy black like he had a biker jacket on and had black hair. Of course, when agitated that scalp raised up, and he looked like he had a 50's style mens bouffant hairdo. Darned good Daddy--goosed a couple cats that got too close too his young'uns. Good memories of that character.

4. PetesMom

PetesMom Songster

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Our Elvis is white lol and boy is he big! Here's a picture of him
    [​IMG]

5. CountryKitty

CountryKitty In the Brooder

May 3, 2012
    Handsome fellow! ...now I'm longing for a couple-three-four muscovie lasses to give me eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: