Could this roo turn mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by a123andpoof, Jun 11, 2011.

1. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have two 9 week old ees when they were young we tried to play with them and such, but they are not very friendly, very flighty and protective of each other. Tiny the roo always stays away from me, but I am wondering if there is a chance he could turn mean. I hear about these roos and well I definatly do not want that. He is definatly lower in the pecking order, but I am wondering if that will change as he gets older. We would like to keep him if we can get away with it as we would like to get some ee babies. He is already showing signs that he wants to mate with coco the other ee. Is there something I can do to get him and coco to let me hold them? They mostly run and hide when they see me. Im trying to give them more treats and such, but I cant get close enough. Do you think they will mellow out as they get older? I know some of my oldest girls started to like me better around this time. I really do not want him to turn mean so any tips on how I can prevent that and get them to be more friendly is much appreciated.

2. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    When a roo (or pullet for that matter) reaches one year of age, he/she is fully grown and the temperament it exhibits is the way he/she'll be like for the rest of their lives. I'd wait a little bit and try to pamper them. If the roo turns mean, then it's probably time to send him to freezer camp. Hope this helps.

3. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    I will try and pamper it more, though maybe if I am lucky it will just stay flighty, although I could have problems if I try to do anything with coco [​IMG]

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    good luck

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

There's really no good way to predict whether a roo will turn mean or not (other than if they start off really mean). Some baby and pet on their roosters as chicks and cockerels with good results, while some roosters who've been pampered do a 180 and become devils. Others who haven't babied their roosters may end up with wonderful roosters (good to hens, nonaggressive to humans), or devil roosters. I just don't think there's a set predictor.
    I wouldn't worry about your cockerel being a lap rooster, I would just focus on him learning that YOU (and your family members) are the head roo(s) around your place.

6. a123andpoof

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks, I guess I will just keep up what Im doing and hope that he doesnt turn into the devils child. Cause he is getting really pretty, and I want some ee babies. We only get two of them and well tiny was a roo the funny part is he was the diffrent one of all the chicks, he was white with a brown stripe and all the other chicks were brown. My dad told me not to pick the prettiest one cause it would be a roo...why did he have to be right? [​IMG]

7. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    And as for me, I would LOVE to get a BO roo so I can have some BO babies..........

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:good guidance.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Fred's Hens :

Quote:good guidance.

Ditto.​

10. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I personally thing that chickens can go thru a teenager I'm too cool for you stage. M y rooster started acting a bit strange at about 6 months and finally got his junk together at about year. Now he is really sweet and takes care of his girls very well! Of course he was really spoiled and I continued to pick him up and talk to him. I still try to now but he is so gosh darn big it is hard to hold him long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by