Could this work for chicks?? Or 2 chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mattsiewrt94, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Idk what I'm gonna do with it yet I t have a lot of ideas

Idea1- get serama bantam chickens or some small chicken to live in there. Because I like the small chickens and they can't live with my large flock

Idea 2 - get a incubator and start hatching eggs let the chicks go in there and sell them

Idea 3- get quail or something like that for it.

Those are my ideas let me know if it's possible or something lol thank youu

2. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Oh yeah or to Keep 3 or so chicks in there till they can go in the big coop I cannot have no chicks living inside the house

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    The first one looks like it may work for one or two small chickens, or chicks but I would definitely modify it if you get it. The top one doesn't look like it'd keep most predators out and you would have to make it safe for your babies.

The other looks more sturdy, and can probably comfortably hold a couple bantams or quail.

4. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Really where I live I have not had no problems with predators the only thing that I really need to watch out for are owls, hawks, and eagles. But what is a small bantam chicken that could fit in the second one I really like the little serama bantams but where could I order them ?? There so tiny lol

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I wouldn't say you don't have any predators to worry about that can get them. Perhaps you haven't seen many, they are elusive but that doesn't mean they aren't around. Where are you located? You'll most likely have raccoons, possums and fox to worry about. You'll also have to worry about cats for chicks, wandering and neighbor dogs and possibly coyotes. We free ranged for about a year before a fox came in the middle of the day and took 7 chickens from right under our noses. We didn't think we even had foxes because we never saw any.

You can search the forum search bar for serama breeders or use google to find hatcheries or other people that sell serama chicks or eggs if you are into hatching.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    Do you think he chicks or chickens could get up the stairs it's a rabbit hutch but I don't see why it won't work for them

7. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    They should be fine getting up the stairs as long as they have something to help them grip the wood like little wooden steps. I carpeted my ramp and even the baby chicks can get up and down it easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by