Could today be the day?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cejones119, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cejones119

cejones119 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    Just went out to check on the girls and one was sitting in the nesting box while the other two were out making a mess. None of them have laid eggs for me yet despite being more than a year each and they were already laying at their last home. I've had them for two weeks so I figure the eggs are coming soon. Do you think my one in the nest box could be getting ready to lay? Or do you think she might just be going broody? Can they even go broody if they aren't laying? I do have golf balls in the nest.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    She could be! She also might just be sitting there. Is she clucking really loudly? My hens cluck a lot when they arent to lay an eggs. Like a bak bak bak BAKAA! Kinda sound! [​IMG]

3. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    She was making that noise earlier this morning, but she's quiet now. She was singing her egg song while she was out though, not in the house.

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    she may be about to lay today then again she may be just practicing all 3 of my girls go into the nest box but I still only get 2 eggs from 3 pullet, had me confused of who was laying. 1 of mine screams and runs around from place to place before she lays. then while she is laying she is quiet as a mouse.

5. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Here's to hoping!! [​IMG]

6. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    SHE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    My guess is today's the day - maybe she's just practicing, but since she was laying at her last home I'd think she can probably tell when an egg is coming down the chute [​IMG]

ETA- you posted an update just as I posted this. Congrats!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    nice egg wtg

9. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    It's a beautiful light green too! [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers