could use everyones thoughts, advice, and opinions PLEASE

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TherryChicken, Aug 12, 2014.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ok, well I cant say what are issue is, but I will say money trouble. Now my question is, is there a way I can mix foods to create chicken feed that is cheaper then store feed, healthier, ect. Money is VERY tight and thats not even the full issue. So right now we cant really affored feed, vet bills, ect and we HAVE to do vet bills as we have one dog that has seizures and she is on meds and has to go to the vet every couple weeks to every month and get checked. Even more then that if something comes up. We also have another dog who has food allergies so is on expencive dog food 4health and she needs to get into the vet as she gotten mange as a puppy and was never able to fight it off. Thankfully horse fly spray seems to help with keeping and getting her fur back. We also give her baths with baby lavender shampoo to help her skin. So im just going to come out and say it and pray to god that my family doesnt see this post. My family is in debt and my siblings are having problems so my parents are helping them money wise as well. WHAT I AM TRYING TO GET TO WITH THIS POST IS FIND A WAY TO SAVE MONEY AND CUT BACK ON PRICE TILL WE ARE SAFE AGAIN! Not looking to find a way to give crap to my animals. I want them to have healthy foods and everything. So my question again is, is there a way I can create feed for my chickens and ducks that is healthy for them and costs less then your feed store? Any advise is greatly appreciated! Thank you everyone for yalls help! I have 2 bags of chick feed left and 2 bags of layena layer feed left. Do note if there is no way to do this, then we will continue to buy from the store, just hoping there is a cheaper way for now untill we are out of the woods some. THANK YOU!!

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    if you have a garden feed them tomatoes squash greens watermelon etc entertain them with snack for 5 days and then try and bye food when you can if you feed them other things other then crumble or pellet such as cracked corn then if you still have chicken food cut back on chicken food and increase in other feed such as oyster shells or anything else and just give like a handful of feed instead of what you usually give but my best advice would be to not stop feeding them food just decease the amount. Because if you do stop it could affect the egg production or how the eggs are going to turn out.

best of luck -aqua

3. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Yeah no, deff not going to not feed them. Thats not an option. Thank you for your advice

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a search on fermenting your feed.

A bit of work, but stretches the food out significantly.

5. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    no you miss understood and so did I I didn't read that you did have spare feed so my mistake just stretch out the feed, don't feed so much

6. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I understood what you meant, I was just agreeing with you :)

7. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    fermenting feed hm ok, will check it out

8. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Can you let them free range and forage? This will cut the amount of feed they consume significantly if you have a decent size area for them to eat bugs/plants/etc.

9. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    sadly no. Our dogs will get to them. I want to beable to though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by