Maleficent265

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
I have three Ayam Cemanis and I’m pretty sure I’ve got two pullets and a cockerel, just wanted someone to eyeball them for me and see if I’m right.

Also, these were given to me as payment for a hatch I did... I had honestly intended on never owning this breed because of how pricey they are. Can anybody explain to me what a high quality cemani is, versus a low quality one?

I hear there’s a difference... 😁

I can try and get better pictures if needed. Just let me know!

Attachments

• 6364910E-AF56-46EA-ADD9-BB2F18C5DC9B.jpeg
    6364910E-AF56-46EA-ADD9-BB2F18C5DC9B.jpeg
    671.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 08431994-1B40-4524-ACDD-DEC5D924AD42.jpeg
    08431994-1B40-4524-ACDD-DEC5D924AD42.jpeg
    464.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 28AE86CB-6D5A-44F6-B948-C267B4748DF6.jpeg
    28AE86CB-6D5A-44F6-B948-C267B4748DF6.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 47
I don't, unfortunately. Are they from a breeder or a hatchery? Chickens are almost always better quality if from a breeder rather than a hatchery.
From a breeder. However I didn’t do homework or look not who they were bought from. I tried to contact the breeder who by all appearances, seems to run a reputable farm, but she never got back with me. She did explain she was busy and would get back with me as soon as she could but that was two weeks ago.

someone contacted me to do a hatch for them and told me I could keep some of the Cemanis from the hatch as payment. So I said OKAY!

So I ended up with three...

love to know the answers myself. I do intent to breed them but I got 4 and one is a runt. I need to protect her from the rooster...not sure what to do with her in order to do that. Ever heard of a bantam Ayem Cemani?

We have 2 Ayam Cemani's that we bought from Duck and Coop Hatchery in MI at the beginning of May 2021. I'm not sure exactly how much we paid for them but we bought 4 chicks (2 Cemani's, a barred rock and a silver laced Polish) and it was under $30.00 for all 4. Our Cemani's are very docile and seem to get along with the rest of the flock (we now have 9 chickens total). I'm pretty sure that our Cemani's are both females, but time will tell, as they are only 12 weeks at this point. But from the research I've done, I don't think we got a rooster. It amazes me that the Cemani's can go for hundreds of dollars each!!! We must have really gotten a good deal!!:) I will say that when the Cemani's were chicks, they had yellow toenails and someone here I think said they were probably not purebred's, but now they are both completely black, toenails included, and have gorgeous green and purple sheen to their feathers in the right light.

I had four chicks from a hatchery in New hampshire. One failed to make it past ten weeks; she was tiny and always tiny, well I don't really know if it was a male or female. I do want a rooster because i might want to breed them. I love the color and they are so expensive. I thought to sell the chicks too. The AC seems to be the friendliest breed I have had yet. Of all the breeds I bought in this group, this one warms up quickly and they come to check me out when the others still run and hide. They let me get close and they are content in my hands and arms if I pick one up. Two of them of the three left have a habit of sleeping in nooks near the flock but not far; each one alone; but I often find they hang together, the AC, and are never pecky or mean to any other bird. I think they are really a nice breed. Mine did not have yellow feet, though. These birds need cool names.

Back
Top Bottom