Could use some help with these chicks. The are obviously not what they were labeled as.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dragonmorgan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Went and picked up our new chicks today and I don't think we got what they said we got. We get ours from our local feed store like we did last year. Last year we ended up gettin a couple that weren't what they were labeled to be (I got one that was sposed to be a barred rock that turned out to be an all black hen that I'm still not sure the breed of and 2 "buff orps" that ended up being what we guessed to be red laced cornish). The mix up didn't happen until their last batches of chicks so I assumed that's why some were wrong. Anyway long story short they just got chicks in Monday and it didn't look like they had gotten another shipment in today when we got ours. We got (supposedly) 4 EEs, 3 golden comets, 3 RIR, 2 black sex link, and 2 barred rocks. I am pretty certain the BR and BSL are the right breed (although I have been fooled before), the RIR seem to be right also although I would like some second opinions since this is my first time with them, the EEs look right for the most part but the golden comets don't look right at all. They look exactly like the EEs except the legs. I even tried to get a golden comet roo this time but I can't tell it from one of the EEs unless I look at the legs.

Anyway here are the pics, tell me what yall think...

#1: RIR (hopefully hen)
    [​IMG]

#2: RIR (hopefully hen)
    [​IMG]

#3: RIR (DH hopes this one is a roo)
    [​IMG]

#4: EE (pretty positive about this one) [pea comb? Its taller in the middle like a single just not as pointy but still wide on the sides like a pea comb waiting for the other 2 rows to come in. I hope that made sense.]
    [​IMG]

#5: EE [pea comb]
    [​IMG]

#6: EE [pea comb]
    [​IMG]

#7 EE (This is one I'm not sure about. At first glance it looks like it should be the golden comet roo but the legs are colored) Any thought? [pea comb]
    [​IMG]

it's legs
    [​IMG]

#8: Golden Comet roo (this one and #7 may be mixed up because this one looks like it should be an EE but it's legs are yellow. I know EEs can have yellow legs but can Comets have colored?) [single comb]
    [​IMG]

its legs
    [​IMG]

#9: Golden Comet hen? Only way to tell these and the EEs apart is leg color [single comb]
    [​IMG]

This ones back
    [​IMG]

#10: Golden Comet? [single comb]
    [​IMG]

this ones back
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any idea on these let me know. The Golden Comets seem to be wrong and the GC roo and EE confuse me too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    The color of the legs will change as the chick grows. When it comes to a mixed breed type chick like the EE anything goes. I can tell EE's by the fluffy cheeks. I breed EE's and have seen lots of different colors and shapes but the fluffy cheeks remain the tell tale sign. The "golden comets" they just dont look like golden comets to me. That is my personal opinion though. And you say you are pretty sure that #4 is EE and it has yellow legs, so it just depends on lineage with these guys.

3. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    We raised up 3 EEs last year and they def fit into the different category. My 2 pullets had unfluffy faces (and only one has really developed a bushy face) and the one, that turned out to be a roo, has partially feathered legs.

#4 has a slight tint to his legs but nothing like the other EEs in the bunch. I figure it to be an EE because of the fluff color. The comets we got last year looked like regular ones and these this year look nothing like them. Are you saying they are probably EEs? That would be fine with me either way although I am pretty bummed about my Comet roo not potentially bein what I am hoping. It's an awefully pretty chick and I have noticed the pretty EE chicks turn out to be roos lol.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

They all look like EE's except 1-3, they are Production Reds (what hatcheries sell as RIR). The Easter Eggers can definitely have any color legs, beard and muffs or clean faces, single combs, you name it. Does #7 have a single comb? If so, could be a sex link roo. Otherwise, probably an EE.

5. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    Well Im glad the RIRs are right. They were the ones DH wanted us to get since they weren't an option last year. I figured they were Production Reds though. Close enough for us. Kind of like the EE/Americaunas thing.

I went back and made a note next to each chick on the comb type. I tried just looking but just goin by memory and tryin to inspect tiny combs under a red light I gave up lol. They are sittin in my lap while I surf so at least I can get it straight now. #7 had a pea comb like the other 2 EEs and the 3 questionable golden comets all had single combs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, 8-10 are EE's with single combs, I've got a bunch of them in a brooder in my basement [​IMG] Just means they're less likely to carry the blue egg gene and may lay brown eggs if they're pullets. Golden comets look blonde or reddish and feather out looking buff to red to white... but no partridge markings on the head or back, hence why the last ones are EE's. Very cute fluffers, and congrats on all the EE's!

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like you have red sex links instead of gold

golden comet pullets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

red sex link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you have RIR maybe, ee's, and red sex links instead of gold

9. dragonmorgan

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    I thought red sex links, golden comets, and red stars were all the same thing? I guess different red and white breed mixes account for the different names. So if these are red sex links will they look the same as the golden comets I already have? How do I tell if they are single comb EEs or red sex link?

10. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are all types of sex links yes they just look different. if they were ee's they would have some other sign of being an ee such as beard and leg color i have never seen an ee lack all 3 traits (leg color, beard, and single comb) when they come from a hatchery its usally one or the other but never all 3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by