1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could we have Barred Hollands?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Icebox Farm, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Icebox Farm

Icebox Farm New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi everyone! We started with two BR's that were about 5 months old. From that moment, we were hooked. After having the first two for quite a few months, we built a large coop/run & added 4 young (what we thought were) BR's. They are now 6 months old.

In the last couple of months, we've added 8 BO's and 3 white Leghorns (they were all older and closer to laying).

When we began getting more than 3 white eggs a day, we suspected something weird was going on. . .

Yesterday we got 6 white eggs.

We believe the 4 younger BR's are BH's. I'm not exactly sure how to tell. They're smaller than our two original BR's (Pris and Roxie).

I was wondering if anyone could give us some clues to look for. I suppose the white egg thing is a dead giveaway [​IMG] but does that confirm the breed or could they be something else?

In this pic, a BR is in the front & two of "the others" are in the back:
    http://www.iceboxchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/chickens.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tasha

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Hollands' earlobes are usually red with a white center, but they could be anywhere between all red & all white (helpful, ain't it). The ones in your pic looked just like barred Hollands to me, and them being a little smaller than BR's makes sense. Pat yourself on the back, b/c Hollands are kind of rare (ALBC Conservation Status: Critical). They are known for being calm and hardy, and good foragers as well. You lucked out! Enjoy those pretty Hollands!

3. Icebox Farm

Icebox Farm New Egg

Sep 23, 2011
    Awesome!! Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by