1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

could wolf spiders harm my 5 day old meatie bb's?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chooniecat, Sep 10, 2009.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I just put my 5 do meaties in the coop(with heat,food ,water and my dog at night) and altho I DO like spiders(seriously) there was a large wolf spider in the area I set up and I felt obliged to squish it because I am new to raising bb's in the outdoors(ramble)and don't know if they are harmful. guess I should ask these things BEFORE I set up bb's in shed. do not have a problem with ANYTHING else as I do predator control religiously(no spider control as they generally are welcome) Is it known that these spiders that eat insects the size of a grasshopper can harm a small chick?

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    You should be safe. Spiders won't want to try to penetrate the chick's down.

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    meaties did great in shed with ruby(dog) babysitting and I am glad spiders aren't an issue but the post here of snake eating eggs concerned me. Love the snakes too but am afraid one could get past ruby(worry worry)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by