1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could worms cause pale egg yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhondaa, Aug 29, 2010.

1. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    For about 2 weeks my hens have been laying eggs that the yolk is very pale, worse than store bought eggs!!!! I have been giving them some green stuff when i can find it. They are free range to, but the grass is burned up due to it being 105 for 4 weeks and no rain. When they first started laying they didnt get as much veg. and the yolk was orange. Can having worms cause pale yolks?[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know about the worms. Worms do cause weight loss, and I recently wormed mine because they were looking really thin.

Give your chickens treats high in beta carotene. (dark greens, cantaloupe, etc) Even though we have no grass around right now, they are getting my scraps from my garden and cantaloupe rinds. I don't have any issue with my yolks. (and didn't before I wormed them either)

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Here's a couple thoughts.

Imp

Platinum yolks (colorless yolks)
    Possible infection (causative agent
    unknown)
    Antibiotics. (200 gm auremycin and 2 lbs NF-180 per
    ton of feed for seven days.)

Colorless yolks
    Lack of xanthophyll
    Consideration should be given to the source of
    xanthophyll such as yellow corn meal, alfalfa leaf
    meal, etc​

4. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If your are feeding them the feed will cause pale yolks compared to free ranging. Since you have lost most of your greenery you will have to supply them with greens like kale and such to get orangy yolks again.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Imp if mine ever start laying they should have deep yellow yolks. They get alfalfa leaves every day as a treat. They just love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by