1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could ya'll help me determine?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicken_crazy93, Nov 5, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Hello folks, this is my first post but I have been reading on here for the last few weeks & have learned so much. Could ya'll help me on what breeds & sex of chickens I have? They are still young & haven't started laying or crowing yet. Here are a few pictures I took yesterday while giving out their treats for the day. Thank ya'll again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Is this a rainbow package from hatchery? I picked up my leghorns from a couple that got the rainbow from McMurray. It was pretty fun looking at all the chickens and trying to figure what was what.

The barring pattern on the front black n white chicken looks good so I'd guess that is a Barred Rock. The black n white behind it is whiter and more cukoo pattern- maybe maran? Being lighter makes me think it's a roo. A bunch look to have the face feathering of Americuna or Easter eggers. Ya know, the bearded look, so your getting colorful eggs and those birds have a plethera of feather colors. As for that red partrige pattern I dunno. Kinda Welsummer like and thinking it's a roo.

Fun guessing anyway.

1- Cukoo maran roo.
    1- barred rock hen
    bunch O easter eggers
    and 1 Welsummer roo?
    Almost forgot the easiest one- Speckeld Sussex! The mahogony bird with white dots.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    First off, thank you very much for your reply. Nope, none from any hatchery. My buddy gave me the three Barred Rock looking chickens @ three months old but told me they were Doms. As far as the others, I bought seven from a feller that was thinning out his yard, paid him $20.00 for all seven. None have started laying yet and the RIR rooster has tried to crow twice. Once again, Thank you.
    Quote:

4. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Here are a few more pictures that might help,
    These are the two youngest chickens
    [​IMG]
    Are these the Marans & which is a roo?
    [​IMG]
    Here are the three my buddy gave me & said they were Doms. Either of them roo's or all three hens?
    [​IMG]
    I will take better pictures once they get used to me & Thanks again.

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    No, the light one and the black one in the second picture are either Easter Eggers or Ameraucana's. The Black one looks pretty close to qualify as an Ameraucana, but I'm no expert, and I have an Olive Egger that is 1/2 Marans and 1/2 Ameraucan that looks very similar, but with feathered legs.
    The only one that could be a Marans would be the lighter barred ones. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the barred ones all look like they have straight combs, and Dominiques have the funny looking Rose combs (I think that is what those combs are called - someone correct me on that if I'm wrong).
    I believe the speckled one could be a Speckled Sussex, but not much experience with those so I'm not 100%.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'll take a stab at some of them......

First pic, left to right, I spy with my little eye..........the little barred bird is hard to see but based on how light it is I'd guess roo. Black EE hen, speckled sussex hen, yellow ee hen in the background. Next pic I'm thinking are the same two ee hens.
    Bottom pic is a pretty red roo, maybe New Hampshire? The two littles, I think the black one is an ee hen, the barred one a roo, as above. Barred rock hen in front, the red hen showing her "better" side could be another NH red, or some type of production red, I'm not that familiar with the different reds, I just don't think she looks like a RIR.

On the second set of pics, I already talked about the littles, second pic are your ee hens, last pic the two barred birds in front are barred rock hens, the one on the right in the background I don't know about, it's legs are a WAY different color and it's color pattern looks different. Not barred rock, but I don't know the different barred breeds enough to tell you what it is. Looks like a nice laying flock, I love a mixed flock with the different birds.

Edited to add, I was wrong on the leg color of the barred birds, the yellow legged hen is the barred rock, the white legged girls are apparently marans. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Well, I see...
    1 Speckled Sussex pullet (the brown one with white speckles)
    1 Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red rooster
    3 Easter Eggers, the white one and the bigger black one look to be pullets, and the small black one is too early to tell for sure, but I'd say pullet
    1 New Hampshire Red (?) pullet
    The barred bird with yellow feet is Barred Rock Pullet (dark plumage).
    Your other barred birds have pink legs, which would tell me Cuckoo Maran, or incorrectly colored Barred Rocks. I think they're all pullets except for the littlest one, which is a roo ( he has really light colored plumage).

And [​IMG]

8. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Ok, thanks for the great reply's. So the three that my friend gave me are not Doms but Barred Rock correct, or at least two of them. If this helps any, the red roo & hen have feathers on their legs & two of the BR or Doms have feathers on their legs also. I will try to get some better pictures when it quits raining.

9. chickanddoglvr

chickanddoglvr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Cincinnati Oh
    I think i see an austrolorp, the specled one could have been a susex but i dought it. good luck with them.

10. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Thank you, I'm giving them all the love & attention I can.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by