1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could you use Styrofoam to cover cracks in Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jlgoinggreen, Oct 15, 2009.

1. jlgoinggreen

jlgoinggreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    South Central PA
    Would it be OK to use styrofoam to cover the cracks in the chicken coop to prevent drafts?

2. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    I would worry that the chickens would eat the styrofoam. My hubby and I stapled a large roll of plastic around our coop and that did the trick.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I wouldn't suggest it, they eat it. I use my left over feedsack for insulation and filling cracks in.

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I stapled roofing paper on the walls
    then plastic tarps over that .
    I found the tarps cheap. 3.00 also stuffed here and there in the corners brillo pads nothing will chew thru those things then cover it with Tile glued down ,

5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I used styrofoam to seal the cracks on the outside of coop. But I built a double walled coop. With eterior siding , insulation, then an inner wall to keep chickenswarm and away from the insulation. I used Great Stuff on outside cracks.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, styrofoam won't last long. It is great insulation, but needs to be covered with something so they don't eat it all up (which is probably not great for the chickens and definitely makes your styrofoam disappear [​IMG])

If you just want to cover up cracks, use some very thin plywood or some such thing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I wouldn't use it...

8. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Mine ate it too. [​IMG]