Could your family weather a depression?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by werblessd1s, Sep 9, 2008.

1. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    With talk of a possible depression. We have discussed what things we can do to be as self sufficient as possible.
    I was told one of the seed companies sold more seeds this year than ever, I'm not sure which one.
    Have you started growing more food than usual, canning more food than normal. Stocking up on more pet food than normal?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i asked my grandma the same question..."how did you survive the depression?"..she said,.. simply.....they were on a farm...[​IMG]....so simple..it makes sense......so thats why i have my chickens now...i also have a goat that if i really needed milk..we could get her pregnant....i also have a garden..but i really wish i could learn how to can!...[​IMG]...thats my next project!![​IMG] ..i know that would help out so much...i really think we(Americans) need to start to try to "live off the land" a bit more...and support our local farmers...they could save us one day....take care, Wendy

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

First step is to visit http://www.sufficientself.com/ [​IMG]

Okay, seriously: I'm pretty frugal... like REALLY frugal (okay cheap). We try to put away a good amount of our income for savings and investing so if worst case, we went into a depression, we'd hopefully have funds to survive.

Independent of money, we try to put away a good amount of food storage "just in case". Our church has always counselled members to put away a good amount of basics (grains, sugar, powdered milk, etc.) for long term emergencies. Well, my parents headed this counsel for a family of 8. Now that everyone is gone we've got a LOT of stuff left and most of it has a REALLY REALLY long shelf life.

BTW, one thing I like to do with old wheat from food storage is to mix it in with my feed for my hens. [​IMG]

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My wife and I would eat pretty well, what would worry me is people from the nearest city running out of food and going in search of those who had food.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We would rent out our extra bedroom (ours is a 2 bedroom house). I would sell my car and go exclusively by public transportation. We don't spend much as it is but bills are higher than I'd like them to be. Maybe we'd get more chickens, though my city lot is quite small.

Apparently "egg seller" was a derogatory put-down during the Great Depression.

6. werblessd1s

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    It would be really bad for people in big cities that don't have land. You would have to worry about them getting so hungry they start robbing.
    I know where I live there is just not as many large farms as there used to be when I was little. The old timers have died off and people have been spoiled with modern convenience and haven't worried about being self sufficient.
    I just started this year making my own laundry detergent. The only thing I ever canned is grape jelly, LOL, so I want to start canning.
    We only have 2 acres so we don't have a lot to work with half of that is wooded. I would like to at least get one milk goat along with the chickens.
    We plan on tilling up a big space for a garden and work on prepping the soil over the winter.

7. werblessd1s

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Quote:Yes, that is another thing we are working on. Paying off our bills and not making any more.

8. werblessd1s

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    Quote:I wish we had investments. With the house burning down and having to start all over and DH getting laid off, we have nothing to fall back on....except our booties. [​IMG]

9. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a 6 month supply of canned and dry foods , heirloom seeds and hybrids and the chicks for eggs so we wouldn't starve at least . [​IMG]

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We definitely don't have a 6-month supply but I'm a very creative cook and can stretch a food dollar carefully and healthfully.

I'm canning as much as I can right now, not because of worries about food but more because I believe in supporting local farms as much as possible. We had a terrible summer (cold, wet) so my own kitchen garden didn't do well at all. I got 4 little yellow cherry tomatoes yesterday - the first ones. The vines are covered with green tomatoes but no red ones. It's such a bummer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by