Couldn't cull the rooster... I'm too chicken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Breezy_Living, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I tried, I really did. Tried so hard to just do it. I had him hanging by his feet, the knife was ready...
    And I chickened out (pun intended).

No one has responded to my re-homing posts either. *sigh* I don't know what else to do, short of making my son give the rooster's favorite treats to the rooster (positive association?) but I don't really know what else to do.

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Have you tried craigslist? Have you posted on here? Have you contacted any locals?

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    And dont feel bad, you got farther than I ever could have. I am not a farmer and I couldnt cull unless there was like and apocalyptic situation and we needed food.

4. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Freecycle on yahoo? there are rescue organizations out there who will gladly rehome any animal who cannot for any reason live out its natural life where it currently lives. I have found this site to be very friendly, useful, and informative....

5. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Good for you! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:Some freecycles wont let you post animals [​IMG] I tried that with one of my roosters. But its worth a shot! Each one is different.

7. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Do you know anyone that could help you do the deed? A friend or relative that could offer moral support. Maybe a BYCer in the area that could help you w/ the deed.

8. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    I couldn't do it, either.

Try Freecycle or Craigslist...I'm sure someone will want him. (Even if it's just to do what you couldn't do).

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you know anyone who would process him for you. I have a lot of male chicks and a friend of mine agreed to process them when the time comes and he will keep whatever he wants. We don't need a lot as the kids are long gone and it is just DH and I.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Have you offered him for FREE for someone to process locally in CL??? Ask around family/friends to see if someone would be willing to kill him?? Or since you made it so far...maybe if you put a sock over his head so you didn't have to look at his face???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by