Couldn't resist....candled again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 15, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Randomly. And I'm seeing some weird stuff. Some eggs are totally black I can't even see an air pocket. What does THAT mean?

Other eggs I see chicks, with veins.

Others, I see lots of veins with itty bitty chicks that are MOVING but only 1/4 of the size of the rest of the chicks.

I'm on day 17, first hatch.

Any input?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Totally black eggs may mean a very dark or thick shell that just can't be candled.

Day 17 eggs (that are not too dark to candle) should have a pretty largish air cell visible at the large end of the egg. The ones with veining and movement are what is more typical to be seen.

Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  3. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    The totally black ones - hold it to your nose and take a sniff and see if it smells funky. It could be a bad one...

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    None of them smell, sniff tested yesterday and removed 2 bad ones.

This is what's weird, the 3 totally black ones I could see in fine 3 days ago. They had chicks.

Some of them look normal, 3/4 chick, little bit of veins, movement, and air sack.

Then there's 3 now with veins and a itty itty bitty moving chick, size of a thimble or smaller.

5. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Ohhhhh, if they had chicks a few days ago and are totally black now then sounds to me they moved up into the air sac. Is there any tapping at all on them?

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Not that I've heard, but I haven't really listened either. You think they might be getting ready to hatch????

7. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I think it's entirely possible. Maybe the ones that are all dark inside were already started when you put them in the bator.

8. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    That could be possible. I got them from a neighbor who has 50-some free rangers. He just picked em up as he found them and stuck em in a box for me, then when he brought them here, I stuck them in the bator.

9. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'd go ahead and stop turning and bump up the humidity if I were you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by