Couldn't resist....candled again

yotetrapper

Crowing
14 Years
May 3, 2007
North Central MS
Randomly. And I'm seeing some weird stuff. Some eggs are totally black I can't even see an air pocket. What does THAT mean?

Other eggs I see chicks, with veins.

Others, I see lots of veins with itty bitty chicks that are MOVING but only 1/4 of the size of the rest of the chicks.

I'm on day 17, first hatch.

Any input?

Totally black eggs may mean a very dark or thick shell that just can't be candled.

Day 17 eggs (that are not too dark to candle) should have a pretty largish air cell visible at the large end of the egg. The ones with veining and movement are what is more typical to be seen.

Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
None of them smell, sniff tested yesterday and removed 2 bad ones.

This is what's weird, the 3 totally black ones I could see in fine 3 days ago. They had chicks.

Some of them look normal, 3/4 chick, little bit of veins, movement, and air sack.

Then there's 3 now with veins and a itty itty bitty moving chick, size of a thimble or smaller.

Ohhhhh, if they had chicks a few days ago and are totally black now then sounds to me they moved up into the air sac. Is there any tapping at all on them?

That could be possible. I got them from a neighbor who has 50-some free rangers. He just picked em up as he found them and stuck em in a box for me, then when he brought them here, I stuck them in the bator.

Back
Top Bottom