Couldn't resist this little guy

MrsFitzDarcy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Tucson, AZ
He was all by himself at the feed store. Apparently an owner returned an entire flock, and only he was left:

He is so fluffy and cute. Irresistable. And sort of ugly ... but in a, well, fluffy kind of way.

From what I've read, Silkies have dark eyes. He has some fluffy feathers, but some regular ones, too. He's pretty friendly, but a little traumatized (emotionally) from the trip home.

I don't know if he's a rooster, but I don't have any roos at all, so one adorable fluff ball couldn't be all that bad ...

Boo!

He is a silkie cock cuckoo I believe he also has some other bird in him due to his red off coloring. Silkies are supposed to have purple/black. Yes silkies have hard feathers on their wings, sickle feathers, and occasionally it's crest. Check it's toes to see if they're are five on each foot. If not it might have some else in it.

He is a silkie cock cuckoo I believe he also has some other bird in him due to his red off coloring. Silkies are supposed to have purple/black. Yes silkies have hard feathers on their wings, sickle feathers, and occasionally it's crest. Check it's toes to see if they're are five on each foot. If not it might have some else in it.

I did check his feet, and he does have five toes on each. Is he definitely a cockerel? So what is the difference between cuckoo and partridge coloring? I've heard silkies are amiable little things, so I'm hoping he can become a little buddy.

I did check his feet, and he does have five toes on each. Is he definitely a cockerel? So what is the difference between cuckoo and partridge coloring? I've heard silkies are amiable little things, so I'm hoping he can become a little buddy.

He is definitely a Cuckoo Silkie mixed breed. I think he's a rooster, but young Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. If he lays an egg later on, you'll know I was wrong. :eek:) A picture is worth a thousand words so I posted some pics of Plymouth Rocks below showing the difference between Cuckoo and Partridge coloration. These differences are identical on all cuckoo and partridge breeds, including Silkies.
BRockFShow.JPEG
Cuckoo feathering is virtually identical to the barred feather in this pic, but slightly looser.
PartrRockFlock.JPEG
Two male and four female Partridge Rocks.

He is definitely a Cuckoo Silkie mixed breed. I think he's a rooster, but young Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. If he lays an egg later on, you'll know I was wrong. :eek:) A picture is worth a thousand words so I posted some pics of Plymouth Rocks below showing the difference between Cuckoo and Partridge coloration. These differences are identical on all cuckoo and partridge breeds, including Silkies.
BRockFShow.JPEG
Cuckoo feathering is virtually identical to the barred feather in this pic, but slightly looser.
PartrRockFlock.JPEG
Two male and four female Partridge Rocks.

Gotcha! Thank you!

I agree he is a cuckoo Silkie, but I don't think he's a mix. Barring inhibits Fm (or fibromelenosis, the gene that is responsible for Silkies trademark dark skin). Red combs and pigment holes (light patches) on the skin are very common in cuckoos.

Also, nevermind his huge comb and wattles, his coloring says he's a cockerel. The males are a light silvery/grey and white, females are a much darker black and white. If you Google images of cuckoo Silkies, the differences between pullets and cockerels colors are quite obvious if you can compare them side by side :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom