Couldnt wait...*pics* Any idea what we are?

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
...So I got 6 bantam chicks at TSC in Moorhead last night! 3 are dark brown, almost black, with red/brown face/forehead and red/brown beaks. They have golden feathers coming in on thier wings with black edging. 2 are black with white patches on thier face/chest and fluffy white butts and feathered legs, they both have black feathers and a few white tipped ones on the ends of thier wings. One is pure black and super teeny/feisty with black feathers coming in. I appologize for the poor quailty, I couldnt find my camera and took them on my phone.
17526_banty1.jpg

17526_banty2.jpg

17526_banty3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh also of concern... when we went to bed the brooder was up to like, 84 degrees and still going up...but this morning it was down to 70 degrees...they werent really huddled up to closely, and they werent peeping, so it didnt seem to be bugging them... what IS the right temp for a brooder? Our neighbor says he keep his at 90, the books say 95...and I thought it was supposed to be like, 86-88???

They say that 90 degrees at the chicks level is good to start. Lowering 5% per week. I just put the heat lamp at one end and if they get cold they run over and spread out under the lamp for a minute or so. Then they are off and running. I have two different batches, one 2 days old and the other are around 3-4 weeks. I am using this method for both and they seem fine.

Quote:
When can you put these two batches (flocks) together? I have 4/5 week olds and wanted to add a couple of 1 1/2 week olds, Can different age chicks be put together at some point?

OK, well the brooder is HUGE because we have 100 more coming tomorrow...its way too big for my lil 6...that might also be what causing the cold. The heat lamps are only 14-18 inches off the floor, I dont want to light anyone on fire! I dontk now how low i can hang the lamps over the sunflower hull bedding... like I said, they dont seem uncomfortable, but I want to make sure they STAY comfortable so will see how low we can get the lamps without heating the hulls too much. They sure to enjoy the 6ftx4ft watering tank though, running laps seems to be thier favorite thing.

If they are comfortable I wouldn't worry about it. The temp in mine directly on the light is around 90 so its probably cooler below it. I haven't had any problems. When you get 100 of them they could probably keep there selves warm with body heat. If there cold they will huddle.

Yes, DH works at a sunflower processing plant so we get hulls, and seed meats (the broken bits that we use are called chips) for feed. He also gets flax and millet free there. I put the hulls down 3-4 inches thick to keep their tushys warm
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom