Could've been worse!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by clhbubba, Sep 13, 2009.

1. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    One of our Muscovy hens hatched out 3 ducklings this morning. As usual we separated her into another pen. Had to leave this afternoon and didn't get back to lock everyone up til around 930pm. It was still raining, had been all day. Went to check on Mama and babies and one of the babies was laying in the uncovered part of the pen on the wet ground in the rain, apparently dead. I picked it up to dispose of it and IT MOVED IN MY HAND!!! I shoved it in my bra(the warmest place I could think of), rushed in shoved some towels in the microwave along with a heating disc. Made up a sugar/salt/bird vitamin solution. Wrapped him up in the warm towels and layed him on the heat disc. As soon as he got a swallow reflex I began giving him drops of the sugar solution. Within about 45 minutes he was peeping and pecking. He's under a heat lamp now with his two siblings(we were afraid to leave them out with her). Not 100% normal acting but much better than 2 hours ago!!! keeping my fingers crossed he makes it. Not real sure what happened but we'll try giving them back to her tomorrow and keep an eye on them.

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It was lucky you found that baby. My story and it is true, so don't give up. I put a whole box full of BC marans out in the coop, with a light and water and feed. It was cold out, but not freezing. Those chicks splashed the water all over the box, soaking the bedding and of course some of the chicks were completely wet and all were cold and stressed. I cleaned up the box, coming across 3 apparently dead, lifeless chicks. They did not move at all. I tossed them onto a box in my basement after tucking the other chicks into a warm, dry brooder. I went on to work, now I was running late so in a hurry. Came home at 8:30 that night, yes, 14 hours later. I looked up at that chick lying on the box/carton. It moved, or did it? I picked it up and it was trying to move one leg. I took all three chicks and placed them in an incubator that was already half full of eggs. The next morning, those three chicks were up, moving and dry. They were a little slow, but after several more hours, I put them back into the brooder. I babied them a few days and now you cannot tell the miracle babies from the others. I mean, they were lifeless for over 14 hours. Just goes to show. Being cold was the key though, they went into a turgor state I suppose. So, never give up till you have to.......................HenZ

3. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Wonderful and encouraging story HenZ!!! The little guy is still alive this morning. Doesn't seem to be able to eat on his own so I mixed up some Kaytee baby bird formula and he ate about 1cc this morning, washed it down with a bit of vitamin water. I'll take him to work with me so I can feed him throughout the day(fortunately I can). If your chicks made it, surely this little one has a chance!!

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Sounds like you caught him in the nick of time! Good for you! Heres to hoping for the best. [​IMG]

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Thats awesome that you saved him...poor little thing!

6. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    I'm rooting for him! keep us updated! Pics too! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. clhbubba

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Just wanted to say that the little guy is doing great and I can hardly tell him from the other two! Thanks for the well wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by