Count Down for Turkey Eggs!!!!! ***UPDATE w/ Pics!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smitty's Farm, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    It's count down today (Day 25) for my 2 lonely tuff Turkey eggs. [​IMG]

I wasn't going to hatch any more this spring after I hatched the Blue Ameraucanas, but these were sent to me as a gift from my friend (Lori) Wegotchickens. [​IMG]

Isn't that such a sweet enabler friend! [​IMG]

6 Turkey eggs were shipped to me, but 3 were smashed by the mail despite them being packages really well. [​IMG]

So I placed 3 turkey eggs in my incubator late on June 5th, so I counted June 6th as Day 1. [​IMG]

I really didn't have much hope for these eggs. I would go down to the basement daily and check the humidity & temp daily, not fretting over them like I did w/ all my chicken hatches this spring. I truely didn't have any hope for them at all, but put them in there anyway. I assumed after 3 were squished that the remaining 3 were probable pretty scrambled. [​IMG]

My schedule was so busy w/ my daughter that I lost track of the days....imagine that! [​IMG]

I candled for the first time when they were on day 12. To my surprise there were 2 tuff eggs not only developing, but really jumping & pulsing w/ life. [​IMG] I couldn't believe my eyes.

No developing in the 3rd, but left it in there for a few more days just to be on the safe side.

I can't remember when I candled for the second time, but there was no apparent developement in egg #3, so it was pitched.

This morning I candled and they are filling the egg nicely. I can still see a little bit of pulsing veins despite the egg being so dark. I've unplugged my egg turner and
    attempting to bump up humidity for the hatch.

So now the real fun begins!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wish me luck!!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Wishing you luck. Don't forget the pics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Here's a pic of of the worst squished egg. [​IMG]

Pretty darn bad!!!!!! The other 2 weren't quite as squished as this one, but were cracked to much to just seal w/ wax.

[​IMG]

4. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Thanks Gin!!!! I think these poor mistreated eggs need all the luck they can get. These 2 lonely remaining ones must be super tuff.

Thanks!
    Kim

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  5. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    fingers crossed for you. it looks like they backed over the eggs with the mail truck. i have five turkey eggs in my bator that someone gave my son when we were picking up a goat and chickens. four are definitely fertile and i'm not sure on the other one yet. can't wait to see pics of yours when they hatch. mine are bourbon reds.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  6. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I have 30 turkey eggs that I put in on 6/4. I can hear some of them talking today!

7. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Thanks for the good luck wishes. You can tell by the pic that I need it. The funny thing was that the mailing box didn't even have a dent in it.

Mine are heritage Blue Slate or Blue Slate crossed w/ Narragansett. It will be a surprise!!!! [​IMG]

What day are you on?

8. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:[​IMG] WOW!!!!!! Some of yours are talking already!!!!! Sounds like you'll have your turkeys soon. I'm a couple of days behind you.

What kind of turkeys are you hatching? Whatcha gonna do w/ 30 of them?

Good luck Cindy w/ your hatch! [​IMG] Keep us posted on their progress. [​IMG]

9. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    i'm only on day 9 so i have a ways to go. they may all stop developing but i hope not. they weren't sure how old the eggs were but not older than 2 wks. i can see the eye spot in four of them and veins so i think so far it's going well. i'm obsessed with candling. it's so cool.

10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Awesome!!!! [​IMG] It does sound like you have some developing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Yes, candling is sooo cool! It was really neat to candle the turkey eggs. They were just pulsing & jumping on Day 12 and even more when I candled later. They are a dark mass filling the shell now.

My DD & Dh want these turkeys for pets to replace our beloved sweet Henry that passed away last Nov. AND NO he wasn't eaten for Thanksgiven either!!!!! [​IMG] Oh, he was the sweetest thing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whatever hatches has a sweet personality.

Keep me posted on your eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by