1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Countdown almost over....ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birdydeb, May 20, 2016.

1. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Well my ducks hatch Monday and I guess will be here by Wednesday. If not Tuesday, the Post Office told me not to assume it would take until Wednesday. I have plastic tubs to use as brooders and intend to use unmedicated chick starter and Brewer's Yeast. I have read and read and it is all running together right now. 1 tablespoon Brewer's Yeast per cup of food is that right? I haven't totally nailed down what I will use for waterers ....I was thinking half gallon milk jugs with cutouts for the start. I'm going to use puppy pads and shelf liner. I have double the tubs so I can swap a clean one for the dirty one. I have heat lamps (75 watt) but am seriously debating using 2 heating pads I have. I know how to set the brooders up with one side warm and the other cooler. Have I forgot anything? Anyone want to share their duck brooder pics? I can't believe how nervous I am....excited but nervous. :p

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Great strategy - - - good start!

I used ceramic heat lamps above - suspended on a very firm panel of half inch metal hardware cloth.

The Runners outgrew the first brooder - a large plastic bin - in two weeks. You can just about see their little legs grow half an inch the first 24 hours after they arrive!

I kept a safe thermometer (not mercury) in the brooder under the lamps. I ran it before ducklings, got 90F. Once they were in the brooder, they made it wet enough that I could only get it to 80F with the one lamp so I added a lamp - the moisture pulls down the temperature.

Have you seen the Raising Ducklings sticky?

I remember thinking how I was going to insure good ventilation without drafts. And how nervous I was removing their leg bands. And how my heart melted like wax the moment I heard the box cheeping. And how I struggled to manage the water. A splash catcher makes a big difference. And a watering station makes all the difference. The former is something that sits under the waterer and collects spills. The latter is a walk-in with absorbent material in the bottom that is changed daily.

One rule I followed during brooding was that when I introduced any changes (including putting ducklings into the brooder the first time), I would watch for 15 to 20 minutes to see if they got themselves into trouble. Because ducklings can get themselves into unimaginable trouble.

I don't want you to panic. But I don't want you to be surprised.

So, watch how they do with whatever you use for water. I will always remember the photo of the duckling inside the DIY waterer that used a one-liter water bottle.

Please keep us posted with your countdown questions, and as you enjoy their ducklinghood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by