1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Countdown to Ducklings! [a Journal]

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by askem, May 22, 2018.

1. askem

askem Chirping

May 20, 2018
    Hello everyone! TODAY IS THE DAY! I get to go pick up my two baby ducklings this afternoon, and begin my journey in all of this!

I'm so excited, I've been thinking about my babies non-stop for days now. :wee

Here is the tub that they will be in to start:

20180521_180956.jpg

I did move the light down lower using a piece of wood over the top of the bin, since the temps were only hitting 80 degrees where the light was in this picture.

I am tentatively naming them Quackers and Crackers for now, but as they grow and their gender/personality comes out more, I will have a more definitive name for both of them. (Crossing my fingers for two females!)

I am so excited to share their growth here, that I decided to go ahead and make a journal thread for it. That's where you are right now!

T-Minus 6 hours until I pick up my little ones and my life changes forever! :celebrate

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am so excited for you!

3. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Crossing the Road

Oct 26, 2015
    Flufflesville
    My Coop
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

These make for better water containers for Ducklings..They need to clean nares and eyes multiple times a day...less mess too..Plus feed in a bowl. I start all Ducklings also with a bowl of wet soupy feed. I provide the dry separate. IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

gilbert2 and Farmer Connie like this.
  5. askem

askem Chirping

May 20, 2018
    Thanks! So I should get rid of the feeder and switch to just a bowl?

Will they be unable to clean with the water bowl I have in there now? I don't have any empty containers right now that I could cut up like that for water, but I'm sure I could get some in a few days when we finish off our cottage cheese.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I start mine off with what you have, so don't worry too much right now. :hugs

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Put your cottage cheese in a different container..I start with the smaller flat containers and move up as they grow.
    Yes. A small cat dish for feed works great.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @askem , what type(s) of ducklings are you getting?

Farmer Connie likes this.
  9. askem

askem Chirping

May 20, 2018
    Two Pekins :) I'm in Florida so they're the only legal types. In a few months/year or so we're moving to Arizona and I hope to get some Cayuga's!

10. happy duck

happy duck Crowing

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    Hope you have a good time with your babies!!!

Farmer Connie, casportpony and askem like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: