Counted 13 instead of 12 this morning....? updated from blizzard.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KansasKid, Jan 14, 2011.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    When out to check all the animals this morning and for some reason i kept counting 13 domestic ducks when i only have 12. (note they have been in the aviary for the past 2 days because i haven't let them free range) Well i saw "a" mallard hen that had the light silver lacing on her primarys like my old hen but had the bill color of my young hen, then i got to looking and my old hen and young hen were both on the opposite side, so sometime a few days ago i acquired a wild mallard hen. I opened the aviary door this morning and let them all out but she just stood there with the rest of them and when i herded them back in she followed right along. When i get home today i'm going to bust the ice on the pond and let them free range till dark and see if she stays around.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Sweet, free duck. Gotta love it. [​IMG]

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I'm with Destinduck. [​IMG]

She has food, water, shelter, and companionship; why worry about it?

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Well, that's certainly better than having 12 and finding only 11 this morning.

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Smart duck! Free room and board!

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    That is awesome..... hope she stays! As others have commented on here....... she has free food and a warm home and no doubt a very loving home!
    Congratulations!
    Suzie

7. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    [​IMG] funny thing is i really don't know how long she's been in there because except for her slight skitishness she acts like one of the group (haven't counted them every day because they've been locked up). And yes it is 10x better than counting 11 rather than 12.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    primary concern at the moment is watching and observing her to make sure she isn't ill. They have already been exposed to her for who knows how long and i would hate for her to have brought something with her and exposed the rest of them to it.

9. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    She's probably been there for awhile, hiding out between them like E.T. did in the closet full of stuffies. [​IMG]

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

She's probably been there for awhile, hiding out between them like E.T. did in the closet full of stuffies. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by