Counties in GA that allow roosters?

GAchick30017

In the Brooder
May 29, 2018
We are looking at relocating and, unfortunately, one of our silkie hens turned out to be a silkie rooster and we don't want to rehome him. Does anyone live or know of any counties in Georgia that allow roosters? Assuming we would live on at least 2 acres and it would not be zoned Agriculture since I know that would be a different set of rules but that zoning is really hard to find.

We are looking at relocating and, unfortunately, one of our silkie hens turned out to be a silkie rooster and we don't want to rehome him. Does anyone live or know of any counties in Georgia that allow roosters? Assuming we would live on at least 2 acres and it would not be zoned Agriculture since I know that would be a different set of rules but that zoning is really hard to find.
I think any counties outside city limits would allow you to have a rooster.

I think any counties outside city limits would allow you to have a rooster.

Not helpful. Forget what you think. I looked up GA city for another poster yesterday. The City Code refers to Gwinnet County code, which forbids roosters except on AG-zoned parcels, and even then, the minimum setbacks could result in oddly shaped (long, narrow) parcels not being able to have chickens at all. That's not unusual in my experience for GA, though I won't claim to have researched every county.

@GAchick30017 what county are you in, and are there any counties you are considering?

Not helpful. Forget what you think. I looked up GA city for another poster yesterday. The City Code refers to Gwinnet County code, which forbids roosters except on AG-zoned parcels, and even then, the minimum setbacks could result in oddly shaped (long, narrow) parcels not being able to have chickens at all. That's not unusual in my experience for GA, though I won't claim to have researched every county.

@GAchick30017 what county are you in, and are there any counties you are considering?
We are really open to any county because my husband and I are both remote so location doesn’t matter. Ideally want to be within 2ish hours of Atlanta. We are looking at property in Taliaferro county and I called the Mayor’s office and asked about chicken laws and ordinances and the lady laughed at me on the phone and had no clue but she said she’s seen people with chickens in their front yard and hatch chicks but I would like to find a place that has it in writing that roosters are allowed because I don’t want to move somewhere to find out I have to rehome him.

We are really open to any county because my husband and I are both remote so location doesn’t matter. Ideally want to be within 2ish hours of Atlanta. We are looking at property in Taliaferro county and I called the Mayor’s office and asked about chicken laws and ordinances and the lady laughed at me on the phone and had no clue but she said she’s seen people with chickens in their front yard and hatch chicks but I would like to find a place that has it in writing that roosters are allowed because I don’t want to move somewhere to find out I have to rehome him.
I'm using a cell phone with 1-2 bars for internet, I understand remote. Can't even get DSL out here. I'll try to look for you with the morning coffee.

I’m not sure about the actual rules but I might check out haralson county. I work there and I know they for sure don’t care. I’m in Douglasville (30 mins from Atlanta) and Douglas county has no restrictions on roosters but they do restrict the number of birds you can have to 6/full acre. No restrictions within city limits on number of birds but not sure about roosters (I’m on county rules).

Taliaferro's zoning code is here.

It is VERY poorly written. Based on a keyword search, my interpretation (I am NOT a lawyer, an expert on GA County Zoning, etc - I'm just a guy with some very odd reading habits who has helped draft legislation, redraft legislation, etc), chickens are only allowed in Taliaferro county on properties zoned Agricultural, each of which is 5+ acres, and subject to 200' setbacks from each property line. There is, however, no restriction on roosters specifically.

From definitions:
Agricultural Uses —Use of land and structures for the processing of agricultural and forest products, and related operations, including dairy and milk products and by-products; chicken hatchery; sawmill or planing mill for lumber and forest products and by-products processing and production; primary point for livestock, field and forest product collection, sales, and shipping; trade in odor-producing goods of rural origin such as hides, skins, raw furs, livestock, poultry, fish, and other animals and animal products.

And from the Permitted Uses in zoning section:
4.3 - A District.

Permitted Uses:
a.
Agriculture, dairy, forestry and ranching, and other normal agricultural uses with a minimum of five (5) acres;
b.
Buildings incidental to agriculture, dairy, and ranching uses;

Note that where the County does not regulate, that does not mean "open season, do what you want", it means look to the superior Code, which in this case is the State of Georgia. You will want to familiarize yourself generaly with O.C.G.A. Title 4. and Title 41 (Nuisances).

and once more, for emphasis. The Taliaferro County Code is VERY badly written. There is a reason that the code of most counties in the US follows similar format. Taliaferro's does not - I suspect because most of it was written before the relatively modern practice of lawyers helping their clients "exploit loopholes" (ensure that vagueness was interpreted in their client's favor) in Zoning, and its never been redrafted.

To illustrate. Most Codes have a lengthy definition section - this is where Codes set the "ground rules", so you see things like definitions for "pets" and "livestock" sometimes even "wild animals" (anything not pet or livestock, typically), so Tommy Trainer doesn't call his caged lion a "pet". Taliaferro doesn't.

In the Zoning section itself, *most* modern codes declare everything forbidden. Everything. Then they carve out Permitted and Conditionally permitted uses within the space. End result (legally)? If the code doesn't specifically allow it by mention, you can't do it. Taliaferro does not.

Honestly, it looks a bit like the code of my county, and I don't think we have 20,000 people living in it...

Back
Top Bottom