Counting "days"??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I started my eggs on a Friday about 9:00 at night. I'm assuming that day 1 isn't until Saturday at the same time?? Just wondering when day 18 would officially be for lockdown??? Thank you!

2. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Yeah day 1 is the saturday... so 18 days counting from that day [​IMG] p.s saturday being 1, sunday being 2 ect ect good luck [​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Great - thank you! So this brings lockdown to a Tuesday. Do I wait until like 9:00 that night to start?? Thanks again!

4. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    I dont think it matters really, as my chick hatched on day 20, ive heard some hatch day 19.... a full 24 hours would be 9, but it really wont make much difference, keep us posted with the hatch, how many eggs have you in the bator?? [​IMG]

5. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I don't think it matters what time, really. And be repared for early birds. I have a hen whose eggs consistently hatch ON day 18. Meaning they pipped and zipped usually on day 17.

6. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for all the info!! I have only 6 eggs in the bator [​IMG] I started off with 14. They were shipped eggs.. I am bummed. The 8 that I tossed were clear. The 6 that are left, I'm pretty certain only 3 are good. I will be candling again tonight if I can stay up until dark - ha! I'm nervous though because the last time I candled I had a hard time seeing movement, but I'm thinking it's because they are gettnig so big in there??

Anyway, they are due to hatch on my b-day! I will be so bummed if none make it. This is my first hatch too..

7. teresa-78

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    oh good luck, [​IMG] keep us informed with what happens [​IMG]

8. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I candled last night, and I believe there was movement in the 3 [​IMG]. However, the other 3 that I have in there are duds. I will see if my DH will open them up today. I don't think I'm ready to do that just yet! Anyway, today is day 16 - yay, getting closer!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by