1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

country boy in crisis...code pink feminist hens are crowing and not laying eggs.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickentbone, Dec 2, 2012.

1. chickentbone

chickentbone New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Now, I was raised with cows, pigs, goats, etc... But, for whatever reason, we didn't have chickens. As I figured Oboma would be elected, I suspected I might want to have some chickens for food when the dollar crashes and all the wealth I did have is redistributed or repremations are made. I obtained 6 chickens, two for each of my little kids. They came from a well know chicken farmer.

Here I am 8 months later and I haven't seen the first egg. I do not have enclosed boxes in the coop. I made shelves with flips on edge. The chickens remove what hay I try to give them for nesting. Do my chickens need the remada inn or something to lay?

Then as Obomacare began going into effect, I lost my six figure job and now am headed into poverty. I really need those eggs. What I didn't need was to awake this week with a women's rights movement going on in my hen house. Apparently, I own some code pink feminist hens who have decided to crow like a rooster.

They don't have spurs. And I haven't seen one of my hens wearing a big belt buckle or a mullet hairstyle yet. But, are these birds going to lay or what?

Any answers would be appreciated.

2. chickentbone

chickentbone New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Let me follow up by adding that I went to feed them and stuck my head inside the coop. Normally, these birds come lay down in my lap like a puppy. But, this feminist chicken movement is going too far. The littlelist of the code pinkers pecked me right in my eye. I mean this chicken pecked me right in my eyeball. I thought I was blind at first. I looked with my other eye and expected to see this little darling slurping up my optic nerve with some aqueous humor.

I had let my kids (4,6,8) play with these birds for 8 months. I never knew they would try to eat your eyes. WARNING to parents with chickens. They do like eyeball soup!

Tim

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think you should post some pics of your birds over in the What Breed Or Gender is This? section so we can see if they are girls or boys. Roosters don't grow spurs until they are older, but they do have some distinctive signs like large combs and wattles. And they crow [​IMG] And they peck... Hope your eye gets better soon!

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Pretty sure what you've got is a flock of those Hostess union hens that are now out of a job and looking for something new to do with their time. Like make eyeball soup . . .

[​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Eyeballs have everything chickens love - they are small and shiny, and they move. I never hold a chicken too close to my face.

I agree with Sumi.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Sorry to hear about your eye! Ouch! Good luck to you!

8. chickentbone

chickentbone New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Thanks all.

I should have visited this posting place long ago. Within fifteen minutes of my posting, I went to check on my feminist eye peckers and you will not believe what I found.................an egg!!!!!!!!!!! Had I known they would start laying, I wouldnt have waited eight months to talk behind their backs.

It is small and tan. But, It is an egggggg!!!!! My children are so excitted,

Will still have to post a pic and let you experts tell me if I have 3 roosters and 3 hens.

9. chickentbone

chickentbone New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    one last question. How long can an egg stay in the coop before it goes bad? IOW how long does it take for an egg to go bad after laid if not refridgerated?

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    As long as it doesn't get brooded or freeze, they are probably fine in the coop for days. I don't refrigerate my eggs, just store them on the counter in a basket. If they are soiled you can gently rub off the dirt with a Scotch Brite pad. If you wash them you remove the protective bloom, and they will have to be refrigerated. Once you refrigerate eggs they must be kept refrigerated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by