Country ducks

Kdebrock

Hatching
Jan 29, 2015
I am looking to get ducks for my home. I have decided that our little "farm" needs ducks for our existing pond. Once my ducklings are old enough I would like to be able to let them explore and play in the pond as they wish. Our pond is approximately 100 yards from our home

My questions are for anyone that lives in a rural area with a natural pond/tank:
What kind of coop/housing is recommended for ducks that will have access to a natural pond in our pasture?
Will they go in the house at night on their own or will I need to "teach them/bribe them into the house?
Will they need to stay inside a fenced area or can I allow them to free range once they are old enough to be out of the brooder?
Do you close them up completely in their house at night or do you allow them to come and go as they please?

We are looking to get rouens and white penkins if that has any affect on the answers. Any advise you can give is great, we are completely new to ducks and have only had our flock of chickens for about a year.

Hi!

I don't have a farm, or a pond, but I wanted to welcome you to the Duck Forum
welcome-byc.gif

The risk with free ranging, and with ponds, is predators. Everything likes to eat duck. Domestic ducks do not have as good escape abilities as wild ducks. Even wild ducks have quite a number of deaths due to predators. Generally night-time is the worst, but foxes, coyotes and hawks will go after ducks during daylight.

Pekins and Rouens are beautiful ducks, good sized. We have smaller ones, Runners and Buffs.

Back
Top Bottom